• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 bolt for RE control arm?

S

SeaMonkey

I’m in the final stages of a 4 ½” RE superflex lift and ran into a problem with the control arm bolts. RE didn’t provide torque settings so I tried the stock ones of 66ft/lbs for the upper control arm. Snapped it right off. So now I’m not sure if I should replace all of them with grade 8 bolts or stick with the supplied 8.8 and reduce the torque settings?

I don’t want to be worrying about my control arm bolts at 70mph! Any reason why I should not swap them out for grade 8? Any advice on torque settings for any of these bolts.

This was the upper rear control arm bolt with drop brackets if that makes a difference. It was also the very last one to be tightened, all the others seemed to be fine.

8.8=Metric grade 5
10.6=Metric grade 8
These are approximations,and shouldn't be taken as direct factual science,but they're close enough. Grade 8 SAE bolts will actually be stronger than the supplied hardware. Swap it to the grade 8 and don't worry about it anymore :)

Thanks for the info Mike. I didn't know that 8.8 was a metric grade 5. So off to the hardware store I go! :laugh3:

Back