• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Exhaust Down/Crossover Pipe

korda

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to replace my exhaust from the header back because I've smashed it way out of shape. I'm trying to avoid paying big bucks for the replacement because I'm just going to smash it again.

I've got a Doug Thorley header on there now. My plan is to get a new downpipe, a new cat and then a catback exhaust and put it all together. Probably a Catco Cat and a Dynomax Cat-back.

I'm having trouble finding a replacement for the downpipe that goes from the header to the cat. Does anyone know of a place that sells one? Anybody know of one that has better than stock performance?

Thanks.

CW said:
Your best option is to have an exhaust shop to bend one up.

That's the only option, and it shouldn't be hard to find an exhaust shop that'll do it. Since it isn't going to be mandrel-bent, use 2.5" pipe so that it won't narrow down too much at the bends.

if it were on my rig i would make sure the exhaust shop isnt some slimeball place where they are gonna hack the crap out of your nice headers and nice new cat flange and do some crap weld up job on it......cuz then if and when u break/bend it again it will be a real mess to re-do it again

have them do it all with BOLT ON FLANGES=keeps the new headers and cat all nicey nice

just my $.02

CaptTrev

PS-im no exhaust expert here, but witnesses my brother bring his really nice prelude in for some minor exhaust work and they BUTCHERED his BRAND NEW hi-perf. headers. . .just to replace the cat
they did real crap work. . .

CaptTrev said:
if it were on my rig i would make sure the exhaust shop isnt some slimeball place where they are gonna hack the crap out of your nice headers and nice new cat flange and do some crap weld up job on it......cuz then if and when u break/bend it again it will be a real mess to re-do it again

have them do it all with BOLT ON FLANGES=keeps the new headers and cat all nicey nice

just my $.02

CaptTrev

PS-im no exhaust expert here, but witnesses my brother bring his really nice prelude in for some minor exhaust work and they BUTCHERED his BRAND NEW hi-perf. headers. . .just to replace the cat
they did real crap work. . .

What he said.

CaptTrev said:

Roger that.

korda said:
I'm going to replace my exhaust from the header back because I've smashed it way out of shape. I'm trying to avoid paying big bucks for the replacement because I'm just going to smash it again.
I take it that this a stock down pipe? Where did you smash it? The reason I ask is that the stock down pipe has a built in restriction just below where it attaches to the manifold. I thought mine was smashed until I checked out other stock down pipes that were all smashed exactly like mine was.

RR3

I put a TJ 4.0 headpipe on 35xj's 90 XJ earlier this year. It tucks up in front of the oil pan for clearance. It has another benefit, no crimp like a HP 30 front axle'd head pipe does.

Just have to shorten the crossover section about 3-4" and re-weld it together.

The pipe comes with the converter from the dealer, but try a junkyard or dealer scrap pile to find one.

it works really well. next we have to redo all of it to run down the other side of the jeep to clear the 300

I had to have a "reputable" muffler shop fab one for me. Used 2.5" pipe and they went through about 15 lenghts of tubing before they got it right. They said the bends were difficult to get right. Also, cost $100 (ouch) to have them make it, put in the O2 sensor, and install it. I like the TJ idea better and wish I had known that. You can even buy the high flow TJ one from Banks for $79 and cut it to fit the XJ.

korda-
When I had to replace my tail pipe, jeepmike recommended I go to a place in St. Paul called economy exhaust. They can do any and all bends right on site very easily, and can do it on a first come first serve basis while you are standing in the shop! I was in and out in an hour with some custom bent tubing- from straight to bent to installed. It was also very affordable. So, I also looked into this and didnt find anyone that make a bolt on alternative, so I would reommend you go there as well!
HTH-
josh

Back