• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How far forward can I push the axle before interfering with the front inner fender??

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
I want to push my front axle forward an inch or two when I do my long arms in the next couple of weeks. What I'm concerned about is rubbing the front of the inner fenderwell. I *think* that with the long arms the axle won't move forward as it compresses nearly as much with short arms, so it may not be a big concern. The reason I ask is because as it sits right now, I rub that area a good bit(enough to remove the paint after one wheelin trip). I will be extending my bumpstops when I put my new front axle in(stock right now with 4.5" springs), so this may solve some of my problems. Just trying to do some preliminary trouble shooting. Also, what sorts of problems can I expect from running hy-steer arms and the stock pitman arm(will this even work?). Thanks

Ary

Edit, the reason I want to do this is so that the coil sits directly over the axle tube. This will enable me to get a little funky with the trackbar. :greensmok

Last edited:
Re: How far forward can I push the axle before interfering with the front inner fender??

i don't really know the answer to your question, but i'd think you'd run into quite a few problems with track bar and steering linkage clearance if you moved the axle forward without moving the steering box forward too. i don't know how much room you actually have to play with so i guess i'm of no help to you.

matthew

Re: How far forward can I push the axle before interfering with the front inner fender??

This is the trackbar setup I'm aiming for:
DSCN6895.jpg

Here's a side shot so you can see how things are setup in relation to the centerline of the axle tube:
DSCN6498.jpg

From my measurements and guesses the axle won't need to move forward more than an inch and a half, plus I can cheat a little with the coils(i.e. they don't have to be perfectly straight up and down, they can slant back some. These pics are of mrblaine's TJ and seeing as how it's a TJ and they don't have that pesky rounded inner fenderwell to deal with, they're in a slightly different boat. Thanks

Ary

I think this is a tough question to answer without knowing exactly how your axle is currently positioned under your rig and all your rig specs.......I guess we could all say you can move it until your tire hits the front of the fenderwell at full stuff :doh:

Seriously your best bet would probably be to setup your new long arm suspension using your desired tire size and check for clearances before finalizing the design.

I don't think you'll find a specific answer.

just do it! if you have any problems bust out the BFH and pound that inner fender in a little. it will also depend on if you're going wider, if you're talking about hi-steer, than you must be doin a 44 or 60, so most likely it's wider than you are now which will keep the tire off the inner fender, and you can just cut the outer fender to fit them

You could always relocate your battery and get a aftermarket air intake, then just cut out the low hanging inner fender and fab up a new one to make it all one piece again.

Ary'01XJ said:
This is the trackbar setup I'm aiming for:
DSCN6895.jpg

Here's a side shot so you can see how things are setup in relation to the centerline of the axle tube:
DSCN6498.jpg

From my measurements and guesses the axle won't need to move forward more than an inch and a half, plus I can cheat a little with the coils(i.e. they don't have to be perfectly straight up and down, they can slant back some. These pics are of mrblaine's TJ and seeing as how it's a TJ and they don't have that pesky rounded inner fenderwell to deal with, they're in a slightly different boat. Thanks

Ary

Ary,
You know that setup will never work! :D

You can push it forward as far as you want to cut stuff off. I couldn't see getting much out of it at all with the 35s. Mine tuck right up in there at full compression. (or Jounce if I was using engnreez :D ) And I did a little cutting to do that.

mark

mad maXJ said:
what application are those TREs? the long bent shank on them looks like it wouldn't survive if you bashed the tie-rod on a rock.

They are WJ TREs.

They are VERY strong. I have banged the ************* out of them and have survived VERY well!

mark

Back