• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sick of broken glass

azxjman

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have broke yet another peice of glass and I have just about had it with glass. I know some people have replaced it with lexan where can I get that? How much does it cost? Local jeep club had a bbq sunday and the jeep speed rig was there I saw there windows and it looked like it was just screwed into the body panels but I didnt get a chance to ask.

Mark Hinkley said:
So Az what were you doing when you broke the glass? Going too fast?

Pictures???

hinkley

Well I didnt get pictures this time but I did the time before
4080_0312101666.jpg

4080_03121016626.jpg

4080_03121016918.jpg

OK the last one did happen on the same night but I thought it deserved to be posted for stupidity reasons

azxjman said:
4080_0312101666.jpg

4080_03121016626.jpg

4080_03121016918.jpg

OK the last one did happen on the same night but I thought it deserved to be posted for stupidity reasons

I got my lexan at home depot. They have three or four different grades of lexan there. I think I spent like $30 on mine. It does scratch but I would rather take the scratches than the broken glass.

azxjman said:
4080_0312101666.jpg

4080_03121016626.jpg

4080_03121016918.jpg

Got to ask but is your spare usually situated like that? Just have to check.

Haven´t worked with lexan, but have worked with plexiglass and another material used in airplane windows (before lexan). Tape the area to be cut, with masking tape and use an old window pump sprayer to keep it moist, while cutting. Keeping it cool, during the cut, makes for much better results. Polishing the edges, will help reduce the starting points for cracks. Had a sheet of plexiglass, in the rear window of my SJ for years. Cleaning with a high pressure cleaner, works best. Don´t use a rag or papertowels, unless you have to, don´t rub it dry. If you have to use a cloth, rub only in one direction, circular rubbing will really mess with your night vision. A light tint, shows the scratches less. Waxing the plastic, helps remove some of the scratches, again in one direction.

So, How do you break a rear hatch window out while wheeling in AZ. Are there that many trees to back into there? You know low gears work in reverse also. :D

hinkley

Markm80521 said:
Got to ask but is your spare usually situated like that? Just have to check.

Yup it sure is it is straped down though if your wondering if that is what broke the glass it isint.

azxjman said:
Yup it sure is it is straped down though if your wondering if that is what broke the glass it isint.
Yeah, I was wondering because when you look at the picture of the glass (before it is out of the hatch) there are bubble/stress marks in the tint and form the outline of the tire while the rest are horizontal. Like I said, just curious.

Mark Hinkley said:
So, How do you break a rear hatch window out while wheeling in AZ. Are there that many trees to back into there? You know low gears work in reverse also. :D

hinkley

I broke my right side rear window. ( Got a little to close to a ledge on upper woodpecker) And we have trees.....just not very many. ;)

Mark Hinkley said:

hinkley

suprisingley enough it was from backing into a tree. A palo verte tree to be exact turning around in a tight wash. I knew it was pushing on it but I didnt think enough to break it...

Back