• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welded rear ?'s

RalphXJ

NAXJA Forum User
First of all, i've searched and couldn't really find the answer i was looking for! My 92 is basicly stock, upcountry "lift" and 235/75 Kumho Venture MTs. I'm thinking of welding the rear, cause i'm a poor college student with no job, there-for I can't buy a locker. I have been reading about the goods and bads of welding, and my question is, how fast will my tires wear down? I know this wont be an exact answer, but a ball park figure? I have put probably 5000-10000 miles on these tires, and want them to last about another year or more(till I lift it and go with 33s). So my question is, if i weld it, will I be looking at new tires every 6 months, or will they last longer then that? Also, for the street driving, how much will my turning radius be affected? Thanks for reading all of this!

Aaron

Aaron/Ralph,

First, ask yourself, "Self, how much farther into the backcountry am i going to get on a welded rear? Is my current height and tire size the limiting factor, or is traction my limiting factor?"

I would not weld a rear axle on a stock vehicle. Hell, I would never weld any axle on any vehicle. I understand your motivations, but think before you burn! Do you want to be barking tires around every corner? Do you want to slide around in snow storms?

College hotties are not impressed by barking tires (trust me on this, I had a Detroit in my rig when I was in college).

CRASH

I would recommend against welding the axle on a stock rearend, and if you go to 33's I would recommend it even less. You tire wear will be determend by how much seat time you spend on the street. Save up, in what you save in tires, you could buy a locker.

And Crash.....are you sure it was the tires that turned the hotties away?

Rev

Rev Den said:
And Crash.....are you sure it was the tires that turned the hotties away?
Rev

There may have been other factors involved.......

Luckily, i got my wife drunk enough to marry her.

CRASH

P.S. this may be the fastest thread hijack in history. Strong work Rev.

RalphXJ said:
Anyone else?
Had a ratchet locker in my old YJ, oil slick streets the first few minutes of rain, snow, ice. It would lock and unlock at odd times, on occasion. Lost it a few times, not paying attention.
Have a welded rear (D 60) in my TUG/TOW truck, drive it like a tractor (slow). Pushes like a B, won´t hardly turn under acceleration. The tire your dragging around the corner, isn´t supplying much down force. In certain situations, things can get real serious really fast. Works really well, in a straight line, on dry pavement. Works well in a straight line in the loose stuff. Turned better and worked better, before the weld, while driving on the street and dirt roading, in most inclement conditions.
Wouldn´t do it to my XJ (D-35), being able to dump the excess torque, to a spinning tire, saves the driveline componenets, a lot of strain. Have popped a few spooled 44´s and 9 inchers, in my mud trucks.

I love my welded rear. . its not a road vehicle though. I run with a crew that is locked front and rear... I had to do it to keep up. it sounds like you shouldn't do it if you are worried about your tires. If I get 3 years out of a set of tires I feel good.

to reply to another post, I have not had any undue breakage of driveline parts yet. Most of my U-joints and driveshafts are still stock from the '88 with 156000 miles on them!

I would not weld a rear axle on a stock vehicle

yeah, but you don't have trouble driving one do you?

poor thing..... :)

I dunno.....I dig on welding axles, aint gotz no problem wit it, I think its a viable solution....

I just can't see it being the sole limiting factor on a jeep that size though.....

I think the 2003 Ca/Co challenge said it all.....sure, those xj's were able to do lower proving grounds, and I think the welded rear ends had much to do with it.....additionally they were destroyed in the process.....

so my thinking is, welding your rear might be a good option if you are the balls-out kinda jeeper......

otherwise, choosing lines and finese driving is probably the best way to go....

at the same time, welding your rear end wouldn't be the worst thing you could do...

Mine's been welded for quite a while now (8.25") and I like it. I don't drive mine on the road as much as I used to,but it does get driven often,and it gets driven to every trail ride I go on. If this is going to be your daily driver and you are on a limited budget,I'd reccomend against it for the tire wear and noises alone,but if it was your play toy that saw occasional street duty,I'd say go for it.

Back