• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about switching to a HP30

EricsXJ

NAXJA Member #616
NAXJA Member
In my quest for a cheap HP30 to swap in place of my LP30 (I have 2000XJ), I was on the phone today with several wrecking yards. One place had some older ones 86 - 89 but said they wouldn't work for me. The conversation went somewhat like this -

guy: What year axle is it?

me: I'd prefer a 95 - 99.

guy: Lets see... We have some older ones from the 80's but (typing on computer in background) they wont work for you. You need something 90 or newer.

me: Well as long as its a non-disconnect axle it should work right?

guy: No. You need 90 or newer.

me: Why?

guy: Because... the shafts won't fit in.

me: How's that? Can you be a little more specific?

guy: Uh... looks like the knuckle is different. And... the the newer axles are thicker so they won't fit.

me: You mean the newer ones have a bigger u-joint?

guy: Yeah, and they won't fit because of the knuckle.

Thats about where the conversation ended but now I'm a little confused. Was this guy correct? First of all we were talking full axle assemblies, so I don't know how this guy claimed that an older axle assembly wouldn't work. Even if it had 260 u-joints it should still work, right? But the real question is why wouldn't I be able to swap my shafts into an older housing from the 80's?

The older axles will work, and you can swap your newer shafts into the older axles. But it's important to keep the entire knuckle, hub, rotor and caliper coordinated so they all come from the same year (or same year range. Otherwise your brakes will hang up.

Eric, I know a guy in LA selling a 98 HPd30 with an newish ox & 4.56s .... if you are interested lemme know.... not positive of price but I can find out for ya.

What is yoiur price range? What gears are you looking for? Locked/open?

I got similar statements from a few places I called.... idiots....

Thanks Eagle.

LOCKED - So far I've only been pricing "stock" axles, so I'm not sure on a built one. Since he has 4.56 gears (what I was wanting to regear to) then I'd be interested in seeing what he wants for it. Of course we'd need to figure shipping as well... So, if you could ask him what the cost is that would be cool.

A consideration. Iif you get an old model axle use the new shafts (I belive yours will work..) and consider using your knuckes, brakes, and hubs. That way you have the slightly better newer brakes vs. the old brakes. Also, if you get it in the disconnect years try to find one from a 242, that way it's a non-disco axle and you don't have to worry about seals and fabbing a block off plate.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I got a 92 HP D30 out of a junkyard XJ complete and used the hubs/shafts/rotors and calipers from my 2000 and bolted to the '92 knuckles. I actually didn't like to the look of one of the knuckles and used the passenger side from my 2000. I couldn't see a difference but I'm a novice.

Pete

xxxj-va said:
Maybe I am doing something wrong but I got a 92 HP D30 out of a junkyard XJ complete and used the hubs/shafts/rotors and calipers from my 2000 and bolted to the '92 knuckles. I actually didn't like to the look of one of the knuckles and used the passenger side from my 2000. I couldn't see a difference but I'm a novice.

Pete
Pete-
No worries. That's the same knuckle. '89 on down ARE different. They use a bolt-on caliper mount.
I did the same thing with a '95 HP D30 build. I used all the guts from my '01, and it worked great.

EricsXJ said:
In my quest for a cheap HP30 to swap in place of my LP30 (I have 2000XJ), I was on the phone today with several wrecking yards. One place had some older ones 86 - 89 but said they wouldn't work for me. The conversation went somewhat like this -

guy: What year axle is it?

me: I'd prefer a 95 - 99.

guy: Lets see... We have some older ones from the 80's but (typing on computer in background) they wont work for you. You need something 90 or newer.

me: Well as long as its a non-disconnect axle it should work right?

guy: No. You need 90 or newer.

me: Why?

guy: Because... the shafts won't fit in.

me: How's that? Can you be a little more specific?

guy: Uh... looks like the knuckle is different. And... the the newer axles are thicker so they won't fit.

me: You mean the newer ones have a bigger u-joint?

guy: Yeah, and they won't fit because of the knuckle.

Thats about where the conversation ended but now I'm a little confused. Was this guy correct? First of all we were talking full axle assemblies, so I don't know how this guy claimed that an older axle assembly wouldn't work. Even if it had 260 u-joints it should still work, right? But the real question is why wouldn't I be able to swap my shafts into an older housing from the 80's?
Eric-
Eagle's right. (as usual)
If you use an axle before '90, you'll have to change the knuckles to use your current brakes and such. After '90, the knuckles are the same as yours, but keep the hubs, rotors and calipers together.

Eric, looks like the guy is selling it for $750. Sale pending on it right now, I'll let you know.

Don't do what I did and get a stock axle then build it. It isn't that hard to find a built one for sale which will save you $$$ in the long run.

Back