• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear suspension question

How should I fix a saggy rearend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crazy4mopar

NAXJA Forum User
Well the time has come to fix my XJ's saggy @ss end :laugh3:
Here is what I'm leaning towards:
1: install a set of RE 4.5 lift springs and a 2" block.
2: find someone who makes a 6 1/2 to 7" rear leaf pack.
3: a set of stock 62" chevy springs under the frame it should be good for 8".
any other suggestions?

do the chevy leafs!!!!!! thats HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stoney

The RE springs and 2" block would work well, but only if you also installed a traction bar. The BOR springs could give you the 6.5 to 7" you're after, and are nice springs. I like the Chevy springs, that's what I'm running with an MJ main leaf, but I would not mount them under the frame.....that's going backwards.

You can also just add a couple of leaves to your existing pack, nothing wrong with that. Get leaves the right length, or cut them down to the length you want, basically split the difference between the length of the leaves you put them between, and be sure to use the plastic tabs. It's a little trial and error, but it's cheap and you can get exactly what you want. Using plenty of plastic keeps the ride nice, and you get more load carrying capacity....something you should like. :D

Of the 3 you have listed i'd go chevy's.
heres an alternative though....

Go for some MJ springs but run them backwards. They have an offset center pin so if you run the short end at the rear, you wont have the shackle hanging far off the back of your xj. they are plenty long at about 56 or 57". They are also very soft and pretty flexy. The chevy's my friend runs on his yota hang way off the back and rob alot of clearance because the back half of the springs are so long. I think the mj springs would remedy this problem. just my $.02

You sound like you want to be where I am at.
I run the RE 1462 4.5" leaf pack, RE 1.25" greasable shackle, and a 1" block.
With all my stuff I have loaded in the back for the trail, I am sitting right at about 7".
Don't do the 2" blocks if you don't have to..
Thanks,
Dan.

there's some 63" chevy's with add a leafs on the Pirate board right now for $70, and they're in Nor Cal

but like Goatman said, keep the hangars off the frame rails, unless you got a real big lift in which case the loss of clearance might not matter much

I have Rusty's rear non-military 6"springs with Tereflex shacles. I've got about 7"s of lift and great flex, but6 degrees of shimming pinion down after Rusty's springs became the shape of an "s".They still flex well though.

fa50bd95.jpg

Well with 52.50% of the voters the 6 1/2 spring pack is the clear leader.
I like TRNDRVR's idea and I already have a set of 1 1/2 shackles and a 1" block so that may be the way I go :)
Are there any pro's or cons on the RE 1462 spring packs?
RE is local to me so no shipping charges !!

Do you always carry as much stuff as you did on the snow run? Looked like your Jeep was just about overflowing. Are you figuring for the weight with your 7" options?
You might want to call a couple dealers and see if it's cheaper to pay shipping and a dealer's price, instead of paying RE's full price. It was cheaper for my lift, at least.

Phil Weeks said:
Do you always carry as much stuff as you did on the snow run? Looked like your Jeep was just about overflowing. Are you figuring for the weight with your 7" options?
You might want to call a couple dealers and see if it's cheaper to pay shipping and a dealer's price, instead of paying RE's full price. It was cheaper for my lift, at least.

I'm not sure if they'd still let you do it, but when I bought my lift, I got it from an RE dealer on the east coast and then just picked it up at RE. Got the best price available and didn't pay shipping charges. :D

Where can i get a 1" Block? I can't seem to find any smaller than 1.5"

Ben97XJ said:
Where can i get a 1" Block? I can't seem to find any smaller than 1.5"

The best way to do it would be to make a new perch 1" taller, just go buy some 2.5" box tube, it'll cost you about $2.

Or you could get some 1" plate cut to size, drill a center pin hole and weld it on

or you could get a taller block and cut it down

Phil Weeks said:

Dude, that was only half packed :wow:
I usually have the TV, Playstation2, Mr. Coffee. I didn't even have all the recovery/I blew sh*t up tools. :doh: I usually have a grinder, wire wheel, drill, sawzall, drill bits, Vise,2 tool boxes, extra metal and sometimes a generator :)
I would rather have it and not need it, then not have it and be up sh*t creek

Back