• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP: $399 Neutral Safety Switch?

Atom

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I need some help here. Anyone a Neutral Safety Switch expert?
I have been having this problem with my 1996 XJ with a 4.5 inch RE (I mention this only because it may have something to do with my problem). When I start the jeep and dont let it warm up and shut it off again- it wont start. The radio and heater come on but when I turn to the "start" position of the ignition nothing happens. I have found that if I put the trany in neutral then it starts. So I need a new Neutral safety switch right? But I have the AW4 trany and I went to get the part it was $399, yes $399.00! My Chilton book says that its adjustable, but the instructions are not clear!
My questions:
1. Can I adjust the Neutral Safety Switch, or do I need the new one?
2. How the hell do adjust the Neutral Safety Switch?
3. Is the best bet to just get a flamming arrow and call insurance?
Thanks for the help.

There has been lots of threads on the subject, with great step -by-step instructions.
do a search for NSS on here. The FIRST thing you should try is just cleaning it. If that doesn't solve your problem, then go looking for (i would try used first) a new one. 400 bucks is waaayyyy to steep for me. I don't think insurance will cover it, unless you were in some kind of accident.

Thanks a search gave me some good instructions from a link. But I am bummed the flamming arrow would have been COOL!

hope all goes well. Corrosion/grime is the culprit many times in these situations. slap on some oxgaurd to keep it from happening again. GL!

I have your answer. I just cleaned my NSS on my '93 using the info I got from ; http://www.jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp It took me about an hour and a half. I used a large school eraser to clean the contacts in the switch < an old slot car racers trick for cleaning contacts > just clean out the rubbings from the switch guts before using the dielectric grease. Follow directions it's easy and only cost the price of the grease. Oh yeah the small contacts are easy to misplace. reinstall switch and adjust per the FSM BEFORE driving.

If you are anywhere near San Jose, CA, you can bring it to me and I'll rebuild it for you (and we can work something out...) or you can ship it to me if you like and I'll rebuild it. I've decided to start looking out for them in boneyards whenever I go out and start rebuilding and selling them - since people seem to be losing them left and right these days... I don't have a projected longevity for an OEMR NSS, but it seems to be coming up now.

I have one on the shelf for 87-90XJ (and probably the rest) that I can retest and send out on an exchange basis - and I guarantee it will be less than $400! I've hit my head on that one before, and I'm surprised no-one in the aftermarket has started rebuilding them...

5-90

Mine took a crap 2 weeks ago, I don't feel like laying in snow to remove it so I bypassed it. tranny works fine with out it. the thing is not switched when it is in D posistion anyway (I am trying to say, no pins are connected to each other.. :D) I just tapped into the wires that go to pin b and c and stuck a momentary switch on it. push the switch, turn the key and it starts. no reverse lights yet, but, I may just hook em up to a toggle switch until spring.. :D

If you do lose the contacts or springs, remember that Toyota also used the AW-4 type transmission. Though the NSS is different, the contacts are virtually identical. Mine went flying across the shop floor when it got pulled apart for cleaning and that's how we ended up fixing it.

If you know anyone at a transmission shop, try asking for their leftovers. They usually replace everything with the new transmission leaving a perfectly rebuildable switch for the asking.

John90XJ said:
If you do lose the contacts or springs, remember that Toyota also used the AW-4 type transmission. Though the NSS is different, the contacts are virtually identical. Mine went flying across the shop floor when it got pulled apart for cleaning and that's how we ended up fixing it.

If you know anyone at a transmission shop, try asking for their leftovers. They usually replace everything with the new transmission leaving a perfectly rebuildable switch for the asking.

A very wise soul previously suggested taking the NSS apart in a clear plastic bag, to avoid spring-loaded parts disappearing under the bench. A very smart idea!

Would this shut down .. and not allow engine to crank ??? As before Its seems to rest set its self if I go from Park to neutral and back again ..After several min the engine cranks .. After I go from park to neutral to park the battery plays dead .. hummmm
geepers

:huh: I just replaced my NSS inthe 88' but the price was not that bad but still bad 239$ at advance auto parts! Be carefull when you remove the switch to clean it mine broke before gettin a chance to clean it! I had to wiggle it off the shaft with a screw driver,being very carefull I still ended up with a two peice switch without dissasembling it at all!

I broke my first NSS removal...very brittle case on those, it just crumbled.

Second time around, white lithium grease on that post...comes off really easy and in one piece!

Teron

Back