• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

more height more!!

witt

NAXJA Forum User
ive currently got a 4.5" RE lift with the springpacks.... i want to go another 2" or so for now... ive got long enough brake lines.
my shocks are meant for a 4.5-5.5" lift... will these work?
how would i go about lifting the rear?
the RE 4.5" lift comes with lift shackles..... the front and spacers isnt hard to do but yea. . . how would i do the rear?

thanks

I'd use rear lift blocks to get the 2". You can get them tapered like mine so you shouldn't need shims from Trailmaster. Be sure NOT to get aluminum blocks. They break. Learned that the hard way. Don't forget longer u-bolts.

I went the other way around. I got the front poly spacers and rear 2" lift blocks, now I'm adding the 4.5" lift to it. Your could do an AAL but it will make the rear stiffer. I would recommend new LCA's and UCA's when you do this. They need to be longer. Check this chart out.

Lift......................LCA............./............UCA
********Decimal**Fraction**Decimal**Fraction
Stock........15.75.......15 ¾........15.00.......15
2”.............15.92.......16............14.88.......15
3”.............16.09.......16............14.92.......15
4”.............16.33.......16 3/8......15.03.......15
4.5”..........16.47.......16 ½........15.11.......15
5”.............16.62.......16 5/8......15.21.......15 ¼
6”.............16.97.......17............15.44.......15 ½
7”.............17.36.......17 3/8......15.74.......15 ¾
8”.............17.81.......17 ¾........16.09.......16
9”.............18.30.......18 ¼........16.50.......16 ½
10”...........18.82.......18 ¾........16.96.......17

Also, if you haven't already done this, you should get an adjustable track bar. I've got Rusty's HD adjustable track bar and bracket. 6" seems to be the magic number for these things if you still want decent flex.

Last edited:
what is with lift blocks and lieaf springs? i hear that blocks add lots of stress to the leafs and degrade them??
is this true?

XJBill said:
I'd use rear lift blocks to get the 2". You can get them tapered like mine so you shouldn't need shims from Trailmaster. Be sure NOT to get aluminum blocks. They break. Learned that the hard way. Don't forget longer u-bolts.

I went the other way around. I got the front poly spacers and rear 2" lift blocks, now I'm adding the 4.5" lift to it. Your could do an AAL but it will make the rear stiffer. I would recommend new LCA's and UCA's when you do this. They need to be longer. Check this chart out.

Lift......................LCA............./............UCA
********Decimal**Fraction**Decimal**Fraction
Stock........15.75.......15 ¾........15.00.......15
2”.............15.92.......16............14.88.......15
3”.............16.09.......16............14.92.......15
4”.............16.33.......16 3/8......15.03.......15
4.5”..........16.47.......16 ½........15.11.......15
5”.............16.62.......16 5/8......15.21.......15 ¼
6”.............16.97.......17............15.44.......15 ½
7”.............17.36.......17 3/8......15.74.......15 ¾
8”.............17.81.......17 ¾........16.09.......16
9”.............18.30.......18 ¼........16.50.......16 ½
10”...........18.82.......18 ¾........16.96.......17

Also, if you haven't already done this, you should get an adjustable track bar. I've got Rusty's HD adjustable track bar and bracket. 6" seems to be the magic number for these things if you still want decent flex.

i dont think rusty's is a quality bar. i believe thats what everyone on else here says

witt said:
what is with lift blocks and lieaf springs? i hear that blocks add lots of stress to the leafs and degrade them??
is this true?

No, it's not true. I have been running them for a year now on my stock springs and I offroad every chance I get and I haven't noticed any difference in my springs. People say it causes axle wrap, but I'm not sure were this theory comes from. They use them all the time on full size pick-ups with no problems and they have alot more torque running V8's than a XJ has with a 6.

Last edited:
small pederson said:
i dont think rusty's is a quality bar. i believe thats what everyone on else here says

Obviously there are alot of brands out there to choose from. I went with the track bar from Rusty's and have been happy with it so far. Goes I'm the minority vote. :laugh3:

Teraflex makes a quality trackbar.
I like it because it has a sleeve to adjust it with out taking one end off the rig.

XJBill said:
No, it's not true. I have been running them for a year now on my stock springs and I offroad every chance I get and I haven't noticed any difference in my springs. People say it causes axle wrap, but I'm not sure were this theory comes from. They use them all the time on full size pick-ups with no problems and they have alot more torque running V8's than a XJ has with a 6.

The theory? Physics. Same reason a SOA has more axle wrap than SUA.

The RE 4.5 Rear shocks will need to be upgraded (they supply the same rear's with the 3.4 and the 4.5 and the come up a tick short over 5.5")

RJ

A few things on lift blocks. First I run them right now but I also have the 4 popper. Second, trucks run a much higher spring rate so they are less prone to bend or wrap. Third, many truck manufactures use them b.c they are a cheap way to get the back up in the air and desighn the springs accordingly. They lower the axle from the springs and if you remember basic physics this makes it easyer for the rotational forces of the axle to rotate or wrap the spring. Think of it as a lever and fulcrum. The longer the lever is from the fulcrum the easyer it is to lift the weight! HTH. I know of two people that run the Rusty's 3" lift. One is recent the other has had it on fer 6 months or so. So far neither of them have had any problems. One of the guys just recently went to Uwharrie and had no problems there.

Last edited:
Back