• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My EXO works!!! (long)

Matt

NAXJA Forum User
I managed to get the jeep on its lid yesterday... Coming down a really steep set of rockly ledges that were slightly off camber (note to self think before a buddy says "where does that trail go")

I was creepy crawling down the last ledge just before it bottoms out into the fire road - the as weight shifted the passenger rear went from on the ground to 3 feet in the air - my first time spotter says "uh better do something" like what I would have flopped any how if had tried to pop it in reverse... so I hung on and went for a ride....

I did a slow spin on the front driver tire with the other three wheels in the air, fell onto the driver side and then onto the roof with the nose and top windshield bar supporting all the weight...

Only damage was two busted windows, (driver rear quarter window and the sunroof when some crap - namely a pitman are fell out of the center console)

I have one small dent in the halo above the quarter window where it landed first and the down tube by the rear hatch contacted the body - bent about 1/2" over a 35" span...

I may see if I can pull that out... Probably replace the sunroof with plex and just pick up an extra window... All in all the cage did exactly what it was designed to do...

We spun it in the road on its lid and then rolled it back onto all four - flat towed it back to the main pit filled the oil and pulled the #1 plug to see if the was any oil in the cylinders - spun it over with no coil wire and nothing came out - replace the plug and it started up the first time - no problems :D

Aired up the tires, rigged some plastic sheet for the sunroof and drive it home...

Matt

exo_roll1.jpg

exo_roll2.jpg

exo_roll3.jpg

exo_roll4.jpg

SWEET!

Glad to see everything worked out ok.

Yeah - I think that's half the reason I didn't try any heroic measures to stop it - kinda just resigned to the idea I was going for a ride once it tipped up and start heeling over...

The landing really was not too bad... Some of the guys who helped my get it back over took some pics and some video - so we'll see if I can get any of it...

Matt :D

"Only damage was two busted windows, (driver rear quarter window and the sunroof when some crap - namely a pitman are fell out of the center console)"

Geez louize...glad your OK and that your rig held up to beta testing!

I assume you will be a new convert to the 'stow it ALL' phillosophy...that pitman could have lumped your nugget but good. Who totes a pitman in their console anyway LOL (nuts like us)

Thanks for reminding me, I have a stray 3/8-1/4 socket set, battery pack, some fluids, and a Hi Lift to stow before hitting the trail tomorrow. It's that one overlooked widget that does the most damage.

Yup - I did not think the console would pop open like that... All my other boxes and tools stayed exactly where they were meant to be strapped in place... Even the swing up hard deck stayed latched - I figure I run a strap over the console if I want to use it to store anything with substantial mass...

We'll see how it goes trying to pull that tube back out and getting the sunroof sealed...

Then I have to go back up and run that section again (minus the turtle impression)

Matt

I think I saw your rig at the Moab Diner last April. Nice rig, the next incarnation of my XJ no doubt.

matt, good work. im surprised all that extra weight didnt crush the cage though :) just kidding..

toss those heavy little things in boxes and bolt them down!

forgiven said:
I think I saw your rig at the Moab Diner last April. Nice rig, the next incarnation of my XJ no doubt.

I have yet to make it to Moab so that was likely Dan Starc's - he lives very near to me and we wheel together every once and a while - my cage took some of his design and some of my own to make it all work :D

His had some issues when he put it on its lid on the Moad Rim - the cage shifted and contacted the body - he now runs a pair of tubes inside at the rear seat to stiffen it up...

Matt

PS - plus his is modern desert tan - mine is early WWII OD lusterluss ;)

Back