• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blowby question/theroy

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
On my 89 the valve conver ventilation hose connects to my Rusty air tube right before the K&N air filter. The engine does have some blowby, mor so when high way driving. When looking at this setup the other day, it occured to my that the valve cover vent tube is actualy getting vacuum on it since it's connected to the air tube. Could this vaccum cause oil to be sucked out of the valve cover resulting in blowby. I was considering just still a small filter on the valve cover and seeing if the blowby decreased. Good/bad idea? Any thoughts.

-Craig

Weasel said:
On my 89 the valve conver ventilation hose connects to my Rusty air tube right before the K&N air filter. The engine does have some blowby, mor so when high way driving. When looking at this setup the other day, it occured to my that the valve cover vent tube is actualy getting vacuum on it since it's connected to the air tube. Could this vaccum cause oil to be sucked out of the valve cover resulting in blowby. I was considering just still a small filter on the valve cover and seeing if the blowby decreased. Good/bad idea? Any thoughts.

-Craig
hey bro i own a 88 and was having the same problem the front hose is the inlet and the back hose should go to your intake and is the vacume(most of the time the back one is the problem. i went to the jeep dealership and bought a kit that fixed it, the kit come with all the ccv system hosses and stuff kind of exspensive but worth it. if that dont work try pulling off the valve cover and cleaning it. hope this helps
hey checkout this web site got some realy good info jeepnorthwest

Last edited:
I've already cleaned the non dirty valve cover and replaced the hoses. I don't have the stock air box anymore though. I switched to an open air filter. Know the inlet side is before the air filter and has direct vaccum on the inlet side form the air coming in the air cleaner. I dug out my old stock box and noticed the inlet hose is in a non vacuum area. So I'm wondering it the extra vacuum on the inlet side is sucking oil back to the air cleaner.

The valve cover has 2 fittings on it, as I'm sure you know. One, the rear one, is for vacuum and the other, the front one, is for fresh air from the valve cover. However if the blowby is bad enough to send back up the line to the air filter, a small filter like you want to use, would only spit or drool the oil out of it. I've tried this and thats what it did on mine, both of mine. Check out this old thread and it might help with this problem. I did this with botha mine.

Back