• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cagey Happenings at URF

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well, after a couple of weeks of noodling, cutting, modding, re-cutting, re-noodling, notching, and welding, we've got the main structure of URF chassis 001 pretty well worked out. Some work remains. Specifically, a tube connecting the tops of the D-pillar, some gussets the base of the D-pillar, and a potential cross tube right above the dash to keep the A-pillars from collapsing. Also, the roof halo needs 4 more tubes of the .088 variety, of which I'm out of stock. These will connect the B and C pillars to the middle of the halo.

Enough babbling, on to the pics.

Here's a wide angle showing the basic structure:

Fullinterior.jpg

Here's the kickers that attach the A and B pillars to the frame. These attach to the 6 x 2 rocker panel replacement box, and to the angle-iron reinforced frame rail. They catch about 3 inches of the 6 x 2. (more pics of the frame when the camera recharges.):

http://home.off-road.com/~xjs/temp/Cage/Kicker1.jpg

Here's the cool part of this cage. It's a mix of internal and external, forming a ladder structure that spreads suspension loads. Half the ladder is inside, the other half outside. Heres the C and D pillar vertical stanchions poking out of the roof.

Tubesandroof.jpg

Here's the money shot. This is the roof halo, and you'll note the 8 vertical stanchions poking through. The four tubes will finish the triangulation of the B and C pillars.

Roofrack.jpg

One more of the interior.

PassInterior.jpg

I'm sure everyones curious about the A- pillar, and how it snakes around teh dash and through the floor, you'll have to wait for the camera to recharge. :D

Thanks to Jes, Lazy Gary, Sean Reynolds and wifey for the help in prototyping. I have a feeling this design is going to find it's way into more than a couple more WCGIC rigs in the coming months.

CRASH

when will those fine asshat protectors be available to the public?

isn't it great da pres listed the tariff of foreign steel!?

I don't see any triangular gussets, which are your strongest corporate identifier.....

make sure you wrap the tubes in pool noodles.

wrap the steering wheel in ghetto-wool.

also, will the production cages be welded as carefully as this?:

Tubesandroof.jpg

With all that tubing sure seems to have WAY too much body panels left in place.

Let me introduce you to MR. SAWZALL!

Looks good Lupine, looks like some welding is still needed, or are you going for the Beezil thing, trail welding.

hinkley

OK, OK, OK.......more pics.

Here's the A-pillar. Note the little stubby vertical stanchion that supports the front part of the roof halo.

Apillar.jpg

Here's another view. There is no way to get this bend without a cut and sleeve. (edit, there is a way, but the URF crew couldn't fathom making it work with their high blood-alcohol content).

http://home.off-road.com/~xjs/temp/Cage/DCP01230.JPG

Here's teh C-pillar going through the floor. The little tringle is there to stop the floor from tearing under a complete ass-over-teakettle roll. Not welded yet.

Cpillarfloor.jpg

This is the C-pillar attachment to the frame. It's a nice J-hook that attaches to a triangle that is welded to the frame (not finish welded yet). Momma always told me to triangulate when building a cage.

Cpillarframe.jpg

OK, the main structure. This is where stiffness of the chassis is made. Heres the A and B pillar kickers welded to the 6 x 2 and teh re-inforced frame. There will be one more kicker in the middle for 6 x 2 reinforcement purposes. They all line up so my 6V - 4AL Titanium skidplate will bolt in.

Rocker.jpg

CRASH

Oh yeah, wize azzes, the halo's not welded because the roof still needs to be prepped for paint. Gotta still fill some holes and hit it with the random-orbital. Also got to prime the under side of the halo. There's only a 1/2 inch between the halo and the roof, which makes painting a challenge.

CRASH

Yeah, there's a brand new set of turdy-seven inch Maximum Traction - Reinforced radials sitting out back, destined for a buggy project that may never get done.

Tempting.............

CRASH

Damn thats nice work Andy; I really like the "wedges" that tie into the 2x6 rockers. Lots-o ideas to be "borrowed". :D

like, I kinda thought you were gonna come up with a bolt-awn cage

Uh, yeah that was sort of the original plan. Maybe not bolt on, but less welding than this.

However, I do have measured drawings. Everything can be duplicated.

It IS a lot of welding though.

MIG welding to the roof sucks. Tried it with .023, but the 210 welder can't be turned down that light. I think my 110 TIG is gonna have to finish it.

CRASH

idea.....

and its not to late.....

don't weld to the roof skin....

weld in a lower and upper plate, with a high-durometer rubber sandwhich(or something) and the plates attac to the tube., obviously

through-bolt the roof with four 5/16-18 stainless (or titanium grade of urf's choice)

you are still tying in the roof skin, just as strong if not stronger, and when someone take a picture of your roof, there will be 16,24, or even up to 32 stainless steel bolt heads glimmering in the sun, making you look like one solid motha'.

I say welding tube to the roof skin makes this entire thread wanna suck.

I'll vote tomorrow.

Lupine said:
MIG welding to the roof sucks. Tried it with .023, but the 210 welder can't be turned down that light. CRASH

Rookie

Turn it up and get it flowing!

:D

hinkley

and its not to late.....

Where the tubes go through make it WAAAY too late. They catch half of the roof rack rail, and half of the internal roof support.

It's way stout, but not bolt-on, bark-eater friendly.

CRASH

That's lookin' sweet....

I'm just hoping you're not going to wheel that thing and expose the URF Racing Showcase Rig to any kind of unnecessary risk. I think it should be used for URF promotional purposes only. :)

Great job!

I've always thought about tieing in a roof rack to my cage. How would you seal between the roof and bars? I was thinking you could weld it but wont the flex odf the unibody just break something?

RyanSullivan said:
I've always thought about tieing in a roof rack to my cage. How would you seal between the roof and bars? I was thinking you could weld it but wont the flex odf the unibody just break something?

We went around and around on this and decided to weld it. 3M makes a kiler body sealer that is paintable, and I'm sure it would work fine. Since I wanted to weld to the factory roof support brackets (above the trim, hidden by your headliner), I figured why not weld to the roof as well.

I'll TIG the roof to the cage to minimize heat affected area, and I may hit it with some heat to normalize the steel. I need to figure out how to do this with temperature sensitive tape and what not.

CRASH

Willis said:
I like this one. Very nice execution of rocker replacement and frame tie in.

Steve

Yeah, it's good to finally see some rocker protection on a rig of Andy's, maybe now he'll be able reliably open his doors on a regular basis :laugh3:

Cage looks good and I'm diggin the rocker protection.

Ary

Back