• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need info on HO conversion

DADDJP

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for info regarding a 92+ HO engine swap. I'm sure it's around here somewhere, but things have moved since I last visited. I'd like to compare the cost of rebuilding, to that of replacing the engine.

Perhaps you can suggest a good machinist in Washington state as well.

Thanks for your help

90 XJ Laredo

Dont know about the engine swap but I know of a shop on Evergreen Way in Everett, WA. Look up Jay's automotive (I think automotive). Anyways, he has been there for a while. He built my 1st small block and most of my freinds still deal with him. He builds everything. I am planning on talking to him about my LT1 motor for my camaro. I think you should look him up

hope this helps

Dan

The main difference between the Renix and HO engine (apart from electronics) is in the head. The HO has straighter intake runners, a slightly higher intake entry level, and flows a little better as a result. Therefore, it is possible to "create" a HO engine using the Renix block and staying with the - very solid - OEMR Renix electronics and saving yourself a batch of work.

Therefore, why not rebuild the lower half of the engine (it's pretty much the same anyhow - just has an extra sensor or two and not much else) and get an HO head and manifolds? The Renix TB can be adapted to the HO intake, and the exhaust is otherwise the same with the exception of there being no EGR valve (the cam grind was changed in 1991 to delete the EGR, and probably runs better as a result. The new cam will fit the Renix block - all the modern AMC cams fit the same bosses and bores.)

Also, if you have anything specific in mind, you might want to explore some other avenues while you have the engine torn to bits. I'd be happy to help, but something more than "just more power" is needed to answer that question...

5-90

I'm also just tearing into a new project. I have a donar 98 XJ 4.0L HO 5sp to pull whatever I want from. I want to put it into my 1990 NON HO 4.0L 5sp. I'm debating doing the conversion using the older electronics and TB or attempting the complete changeover with the 98 computer and harness. Anyone else have any info on the conversion to HO and what is involved in the grafting of the two generations.???
Thanks for all the help

Back