• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

<grumble> Chicago is at it again....

if you go to the friends of meigs website, you can see the live cam.....

I was student pilot once, and IIRC, the proper transition of an active airstrip to non-active or closed, must allow for a certain time span, all inbound traffic, and a period following, where the airfield can be used (white 'x's applied) for emergancy use only.

also, I just took a look at the senate bill s-83 il, and there doesn't appear to be any provision allowed for the city of chicago to "rip up" an airfild overnight, and the process used (bulldozers) seems to be in direct faa violation.

Jeff, you'll probably remember the last 18/36 closing.....friends of meigs acted and performed relentless touch-and-gos well into the night, past allowed operating times (600-2200 hr.) at dangerously (illegal) proximities to other aircraft on final (I witnessed this in person from 12th street beach) and I remember thinking what a dangerous situation that caused.....So its no surprise that this recent closing was performed suddenly during the night, ya just gotta wonder WHY?

the airport was supposed to remian open until 2006 and POSSIBLY 2026. i am wondering if Chicago was responding to some kind of intellegence that cannot be made public.

All i know is my sister got a call this morning and they said "congratulations" You just got 63 more acres to deal with.....

You're right, there's no excuse for unsafe operations.

However...... the FAA is apparently unaware of the airport closing.

Wonder if Daley can be charged with a felony violation of Homeland Security for committing a terrorist act against an airport? And seriously, if downtown Chicago is going to be protected, O'Hare, Midway, Palwaukee, Gary, DuPage, Schaumburg and every other little airport in the collar counties will be closed, and ZERO flyovers allowed.

Personally, I think Chicago's Dictator just got named.

ChiXJeff

Responding to some kind of intelligence!?! You've got to be kidding! The city has been coveting that land for years. They haven't been able to get it legally, so they decided to take it illegally. With someone named "Daley" in the mayor's office, can anyone be surprised?

<grin>

Got another friend up on the North side who's a pretty liberal chap, and usually a pretty level-headed and accurate guy. His comments? (just an excerpt...)

Jesus, Mary and Joseph--this guy has no accountability and no controls.
He proved in the Primary there's no one to challenge him; and he looks like
he's going to make full use of the fact.

Daley and the Republican guard are on the move.....we should call in the Marines.....w/ Blojo downstate they have no worries.

Funny thing is , what about the transplant teams that operate out of Meigs? They go between Meigs and N.western hospital and the extra time will be a big factor and will cause someone who could have lived to die?!

Not to mention if the city IS a target of terrorism ,,, the strips would be a GREAT Source for the National G. or bio terror teams to land.........now they will stop at Midway and wait through 4 hours of traffic......?????? Where does this make any common sense!?

It would seem that the city was safer with active air traffic control in the city, challanging any aircraft that approched. Oh well, the Chicago way!

Rev

what they SHOULD have done is apply to have meigs be a class c airspace........

what they SHOULD have done is attach another 1200 feet of runway to the foot of 36 so that the field could have supported 737 operations

thing is, NO ADMINISTRATION gave a rats ass about the airport, not Bilandic, Byrne, Washington etc.....

if they did there would have been REAL usage instead of just general aviation, and weekend single-ricip pilots. Its tough to hear people bitch about this as if they cared.

BTW chewy, I know FoMeigs likes to use the medivac rationale, but lifeline runs out of both Loyola and University of Chicago, both operating their own equipment

Would be kinda nice to add a few more miles onto the Late Ride this year, call your sis...tell her to build a path...can't wait to ride on June 13th.

Rev

Beezil said:
what they SHOULD have done is apply to have meigs be a class c airspace........

what they SHOULD have done is attach another 1200 feet of runway to the foot of 36 so that the field could have supported 737 operations

thing is, NO ADMINISTRATION gave a rats ass about the airport, not Bilandic, Byrne, Washington etc.....

if they did there would have been REAL usage instead of just general aviation, and weekend single-ricip pilots. Its tough to hear people bitch about this as if they cared.

BTW chewy, I know FoMeigs likes to use the medivac rationale, but lifeline runs out of both Loyola and University of Chicago, both operating their own equipment

Was that the sound of undies getting all bunched up?:bawl:

Wasn't Great Lakes Air operating out of Miegs? Or did they end that a while ago.

Not to mention, Air Angels operates out of Gary/Whatever stupid name they came up with to cover up that it is Gary Airport and it is a short chopper ride to any transplant center from there.

Hey, chewy wouldn't those be the Mell Guard, or the Madigan Guard??

Was that the sound of undies getting all bunched up?

I think its clear that I couldn't give a rip about this one....

and I'm sure you are disappointed scott, that you can't give me crap, looks liek you though it would affect me....

so in the meantime, just keep smashing your imaginary airplanes into the imaginary chicago skyline in FS2002 if it makes you feel any better.

loser.

I thought is was too funny that people were protesting because they would have to change the new version of FSim to exclude the port LOL..... people need to get out more.

chewy

As far as gen. avi. is concerned i have never understood the concept from day one. You can have 100,000+ people on the ground for a fest and have private joes above doing fly overs 24/7?? Hey if thats your bag go fly over a freakin corn field....when your junk breaks you can kill yourself and NOT take 1,000's of people w/ you!

I like to wheel but im not going to go to Grant park during the Taste and wheel around the fountain!

The people bitchin the loudest are these Barrington/Oakbrook yuppies that want to patrol around the skyline via private plane.....screw em and make something usefull for the average tax payer of the city....

thats NOT to say this was the way to do it,.... but I agree w/ Daley that the air space should be off limits to anything OTHER than commercial aviation.

this is where daley is probably misdirected.

IMHO, in order to make the skys around the loop safer, the best way that could be done is to reclassify meigs TCA area to class c like midway.

I mean, he thinks meigs is a security threat, but is fine with midway? Flight travel time from runway 4 L and 4 R (in perfect alignment with downtown) would be a mere 4 to 6 minutes at 100kts..... so I don't get it. What are you gonna do with an inbound aircraft with 4 minutes for responce time?

ANY aircraft leaving ORD, MDW, or CGX inbound to the loop on a terrorist mission will probably succeed.

Otherwise, inbound aircraft to downtown now have a gaping hole on the east (lake) approach at low altitude and under the radar of the ORD TCA. Nice going. A reclassification/TCA upate would have been a better strategy.

Northerly Island Beach volleyball anyone?

The People's Democratic Republic of Chicago (yes, I'm on a soapbox) does own the land, and can indeed shut down the airport at their whim.

The problem is how King Richard went about it. Apparently, about the only thing that the City may get hit on is violation of FAR Part 157 (http://www2.faa.gov/arp/ace/part157.htm)

ChiXJeff

Beezil said:
IMHO, in order to make the skys around the loop safer, the best way that could be done is to reclassify meigs TCA area to class c like midway.

I mean, he thinks meigs is a security threat, but is fine with midway? Flight travel time from runway 4 L and 4 R (in perfect alignment with downtown) would be a mere 4 to 6 minutes at 100kts..... so I don't get it. What are you gonna do with an inbound aircraft with 4 minutes for responce time?

ANY aircraft leaving ORD, MDW, or CGX inbound to the loop on a terrorist mission will probably succeed.

Otherwise, inbound aircraft to downtown now have a gaping hole on the east (lake) approach at low altitude and under the radar of the ORD TCA. Nice going. A reclassification/TCA upate would have been a better strategy.

According to my brother (VFR single engine rating,) he expects the EXISTING hole to be closed up. Evidently, due to the fact that an airport was there, flight rules were relaxed. Now that it's gone. there's some additional paperwork and such. Pilots should be picked up a lot farther out now.

Still, it's not the small planes he needs to be worried about. So you fly a Cessna downtown. And before anybody says anything, yes, it's tragic. But it's manageable. Run a Gulfstream business jet down (say from Palwaukee?) and see what you can do.

ChiXJeff

Back