• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

over heating problem

MCD

NAXJA Forum User
my jeep over heats and i need to know what all to look for. i have a new thermostat. i was also told that the over heating caused my rear seal to go out, is this true? i just want to get it fixed so i dont get in a new seal and over heat and waste all that work.

p.s. im new

We need to know what year your Cherokee is, what engine and transmission it has, and whether or not you have made any modifications to the engine and/or cooling system. Also, since you write that you have a new thermostat, what temperature is the new t'stat rated for, and is it a factory t'stat with the air check valve in the flange?

Can't help you much based on the limited information in your question.

im sorry didn't know wat all the info needed was. i have a 90 jeep cherokee limited auto 4.0 it is a 4x4. only mods to cooling are a few new hoses with hose clamps instead of the bands. i havent actually instaled the thermostat as of yet. im not sure how to check the stats rating and i guess it has the air check. it has a little hole with a brass type insert.

p.s. my tranny has the power comfort switch if that is any help as to identifying my trans.

My Cherokee is a 1988. The original radiator sprung a leak in late 1999, and had been clogged enough to cause overheating in warm weather before that.

You need a radiator. The originals are not good for more than 10 years, IMHO.

If you decide to replace it, you'll see many people advise that you "must" convert to the newer, open style radiator. That newer style does not cool any better than the old style, and it has no provision to control the auxiliary electric fan, so it is NOT a direct, bolt-in conversion. The only advantage to the conversion is eliminating the plastic bottle on the firewall, but they are inexpensive to replace, and if you really want to eliminate it there are other ways to do so.

now that my new stat is in it runs nothigng over 210. when i opened the housing i did notice it was rusted and pretty nasty(probaly previoese owner left antifrezze in to long cuz old stat had that brown color.) but nothing a good flush with the stat out couldnt fix. i would like to know what a normal temp for my jeep should be. if a flush doesnt fix it i'll get a better water pump and clean the radiator. also my new stat is rated 190F and the old one was 195F i think.

210 is normal

Did you try replacing your cap. I had a old Dodge that kept overheating, and it ended up being the cap.

Wouldn't hurt to backflush the whole cooling system.If the vehicle hasn't been backflushed in a while,a lot of CRUD can build up in the heater core,radiator,and also in the engine block.
There are several chemicals that are made for this.
Drain the system,dump the chemical in,top off w/water,run at idle to operating temp,shut off,let it cool down,drain,then hook up a garden hose and flush everything in the cooling sys.
Before I got my new rad,I backflushed mine 3 days in a row,you wouldn't belive the crud that came out.
IF you backflush,make sure you get ALL the chemical out,it is not recomended to leave in the system.
Make sure you read the DIRECTIONS on the bottle.....

Last summer my ’91 was over heating, so I changed out the thermostat and housing. I used a 160-degree t’stat and new hi flow housing from Rock-It. The new housing is machined lager internally (I could see the difference). It fixed the over heat problem and has been working like a champ for the last 4 months. Of course, the definitive test will be next July :)

Terry

Here's what I did to cure the overheating problem: Bought a GDI 3 core radiator, slipped right in. Buck- thirty five$.
Here's what I did to cure the No-heat in the cabin problem:
195 thermostat, back- flushed the system then isolated the heater core and back-flushed that.
I have heat in the Winter, and
in the Summer with A/C on, climbing NorthWest mountain roads,
temp stays: "West Coast Chill'in".

Back