• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I finally understand what DW is :(

ChuckD

NAXJA Forum User
Alright here we go, DW didn't occur until I added 2" spacers to mt Rusty's 4.5" coils and installed my RE LAC's and Adj, UCA's. I know I still have to make some caster adjustments, but how much does the length of your shocks play into DW. I still have and will replace the Heckethorn 2"- 4" rated shocks from JCW. I was thinking about after the first occurance of DW happened, after hitting a short series of bumps. If my shocks do not have the proper dampening ability due to the fact they are too short, other than my caster adjustment could this be part of my DW problem.

FYI I didn't have and never had DW before this, when I was just lifted at 4.5"- 5" in the front.

I know I have a lot to do to find a simple solution, but TIA for all yor input.

I don't think your shocks have anything to do with it. Go jeep has a simple way to check your caster on his webpage, he basically measures off of the front cover. Thats where you should start.

Length of shock should not affect its ability to damp suspension oscillation. Check your alignment, and have your wheels balanced.

FWIW I have dealt with multiple XJ's death wobble probs and I think that above all esle its catser, then centering the jeep over its axle (trac bar). Loose / less than torqued to spec bolts, alignment, balance. etc are IMHO just things that can exploit existing conditions......

I have my alignment guy on it right now. Part of the problem is that I have RE non adj super flex lowers and a set of the RE super ride UCA's(made them adjustable), 6-6.5" of lift in the front. I didn't make the UCA's short enough, or the LCA's are too short also. With that said I have a set of drop brackets that will be installed before the alignment is done. Which I believe will help the LCA's push the axle up and then adj the UCA's to put the axle in proper alignment. Finally add a dropped pitman and hopefully I'll be DW free again. Along with tire rotation and balancing.

After that's all done, I try to flex the crap out of it to get the shock lenghts I need in the front. :)

I thank you for all your help, I know this topic has be covered over and over again. I'll keep you posted, everything should be done by Thurs. night.

Hey maybe look at your ball joints also. I think some of my DW is because my joints are shot. I cannot move them when the wheel is off the ground but I can sure see it when you look at the front of the Jeep. The tires lean in at the top toward the body.

I've never had it Chuck but I would agree that it is probably caster related. I think with your plan you will be on the right track and can drive wobble free :)

Too much toe in was causing my death wobble. Adjusted it and problem was solved.

I may be wrong

but when I went from 3 to 5.5" I got the DW REAL bad,, I tried everything, new steering, castor, alignment, diff. tires, tire pressure, new shocks(rs9000's) set on 5, new steering stabilizer still had the DW,, the only thing I found that cured it is making sure that your track bar and the drag link run parrallel,, I had DW until I dropped the track bar to meet the drag link angle ,, but I do think that it has to do with a lot of diffrent factors,, and I know it sucks really bad until it's finally gone

Back