• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what does 20,000# break strength mean on tow strap

Speed_racer

NAXJA Forum User
Re: what does 20,000# break strength mean on tow rtrap

:QUOTE=CrCSH\You`enth-metkl hook guys are something else.

You preach and bitch, and then, what's the vorst thing you do when you fet hnur str`u out? pGolt on@g 2 pound shackle.

A 2 pound shackle makes just as good a bullet as `-2 pound)honk.
z
CRASH[/QUOTE]m
yeah|%trust
c, I know about stuff flying thru hatches.

what does 20,000 break strength mean on tow strap
I'm looking to buy a tow strap and see one on e bay, with a 20,000 # break strength. It is 20 feet with loops not hooks so otherwise would seem OK

Is 20,000# break strength adaquate. Aren there different types of 20,000# test strengths, so that 20,000# breaking strength might be less than 20,000# test on another tow strap.

Is 20,000# break strength enough

You anti-metal hook guys are something else.

You preach and bitch, and then, what's the first thing you do when you get your strap out? Bolt on a 2 pound shackle.

A 2 pound shackle makes just as good a bullet as a 2 pound hook.

CRASH

CRASH said:

You preach and bitch, and then, what's the first thing you do when you get your strap out? Bolt on a 2 pound shackle.

CRASH

Only at an end attached to the truck or in the middle of two straps.

The key to the shackle is it is screwed together and can't slip off for no stupid reason.

For it to fly in either of those two places your day is just going way too wrong.

mark

CRASH said:

CRASH

hooks can accidentally slip off the mounting point, while shackle will not if mounted right.

Isn't there a metal hook on the end of your winch cable?

CRASH

As someone with personnal, 1st hand knowledge of what happens when a strap mounting point lets go, let me just say this.

Straps should be joind ONLY with a dowel, never a shackle. The dowel will fall to the ground if the strap breaks, not go thru a window. Did we not just have a post about someone trying to fix a roof due to the shackle going thru the hatch?

The hook on the end of a winch cable is not usally subjected to the "shock loading" of a strap, and therefore has less of a chance of breaking, either way, you should be hanging a coat, blanket..etc over the cable to help control a failure.

Sorry all, but I came to close to killing someone with a strap to screw around on this subject.

Rev

That's what I'm saying. When you are dealing with ANY mass on the end of an elastic rope, you've got problems.

I don't worry about stuff slipping off, cause that rarely happens under tension, I worry about stuff breaking. And that can happen to a shackle, a hook, or a frame mount.

Care and careful contemplation around winching/strapping operations is always the best precaution.

CRASH

Who can point me to instructions about the proper way to unstick a stuck vehicle using a tow strap or recovery strap? I would like (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) to know which is better to carry (tow or recovery), how to properly attach to the stuck and recovering vehicles, etc. My XJs have no winch, but have two front tow hooks and a rear receiver hitch.

Tim
90 XJ
01 XJ

many times the strap is used to 'snap' out a vehicle, a shackle is secured to both vehicles unlike a hook that is just hooked, which has the ability to come unhooked, the shackle has the 'bolt' or pin which makes it unlikely to slip off. On the winch, I use my hook, but it's a even steady pull w/o the possability of a major jerk to send it flyin and I do hang a jacket or blanket over the cable should the cable fail.

if your shackle fails, you should have bought a bigger one (the ones I use are from TSC - farmin stuff), the hooks that I've seen on straps all seem weaker than my shackles.

also, I have D rings on my front bumper that the shackle attaches to, if you're using hooks then there's no reason to have a hook or shackle as you can loop the strap on that.

My rear tow point is a pintle hitch, works real well and it's secure w/o the usd of`i shack|m

Rev Den said:
Straps should be joind ONLY with a dowel, never a shackle. The dowel will fall to the ground if the strap breaks, not go thru a window.
Rev
Explain this "dowel" to me. I'm not familiar with what you're talking about - what is it - how's it used?

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
Explain this "dowel" to me. I'm not familiar with what you're talking about - what is it - how's it used?

There are a couple of methods, the one I have used is to place the dowel thru 1 loop, then hook the other loop over it. So the dowel pins the straps together.

Rev

Rev Den said:
There are a couple of methods, the one I have used is to place the dowel thru 1 loop, then hook the other loop over it. So the dowel pins the straps together.

Rev
Sorry Rev, but I'm just not following. More basic - what IS this dowel you're talking about? The only thing that I can picture is a wooden dowel, a turned wooden rod, so to speak. I know that's not what you're talking about, so I'm lost.
:lecture: Learn me up good here, K?

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
Sorry Rev, but I'm just not following. More basic - what IS this dowel you're talking about? The only thing that I can picture is a wooden dowel, a turned wooden rod, so to speak. I know that's not what you're talking about, so I'm lost.
:lecture: Learn me up good here, K?

Hard for me to explain...I had to see it to understand....this is a steel dowel, insert thru the loop on a strap. With the strap in the center see how it froms a T, hook the other loop over the ears of the T.

OK...got a pic.
dowel.bmp

See how the dowel (yes..I know its a plastic pipe...I could not find a dowel)prevents the straps from pulling apart? The idea is that if the strap breaks, the dowel will fall out. Thats the idea..I do not trust it, but i think it is better than a shackle, either way...drop a blanket, heavy coat..etc to help damppen the force if something breaks.

There is ALWAYS a risk, all we can do is to try and plan for the lowest risk of injury in the event of a failure.

Rev

Last edited:
When connecting two straps, what about tieing a heavy jacket (in an ugly ball) over the shackle? The worse the aerodynamics & the bigger the ball ... the better the safety :).

Oh ya ..., try to use someone elses jacket ;).

No Hooks :0!

Ed A. Stevens said:
When connecting two straps, what about tieing a heavy jacket (in an ugly ball) over the shackle? The worse the aerodynamics & the bigger the ball ... the better the safety :).

Oh ya ..., try to use someone elses jacket ;).

No Hooks :0!

Actually the idea behind a jacket or a blanket is to act as a sort of chute and cause the strap to slow, of course the added weight on the strap will also help to pull the strap to the ground to hopefully prevent it from taking a head off. A ball, while helping with wieght, is a very aerodynamic shape and will do little to slow the event. I always keep a moving blanket or old Carhartt jacket when wheeling for just this reason.

Rev

Thanx, Rev! Now I gets it!
I'm not convinced that the dowel would drop out if one of the straps snapped, due to the recoil of the strap pulling the dowel along with it, but at least I see now what you were talking about. a picture really is worth a thousand words (and much easier on the fingers!).
:laugh3:

I´ve got some old truck mud flaps (3X2 feet), I keep in the back of the XJ. I use to set my tool boxes, materials and such on (saves cleanup and the carpet). I cut a small X, in the middle of each. Run the strap through the X, hook up. Not foolproof, but something. Most of my hairy situations, are when, whatever I hooked up to, comes off of the vehicle, to be pulled. Bumper (don´t do that anymore), hook (only if it looks really secure), trailer hitch (Iffy, have bent some). My last brain hiccup, was to let a novice, screw a chain loop around the frame. Handed him, a bolt, nut and two washers. Chain bounced all over my hood and roof. Idiot still had the washers in his pocket. Have since made a set of supper duty short straps (tree savers) to loop around the frame. Still use the mud flaps, to slow things down, if something snaps.

Back