• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

testing the waters for front leaf conversion

jeepxjga

NAXJA Forum User
just testing the waters here, i can make a totally bolt-on front leaf spring conversion kit for a dana 44 (not fullwidth) that is tested and strong, wondering what kind of interest there would be in that? i could also make a fullwidth version for people wanting to go that route. what do you guys think? any specific questions, email me at [email protected] or PM me...thanks!

i put leaves under my MJ a few months back, and mine is fully bolt on, a crossmember up front with 14 bolts holding it, to the tranny crossmember which has 4 bolts on the MJ, with MJ leaves up front.

I don't think there is a market for such a thing because people that go leaves are usually looking for super cheap and are capable of doin a little fabbing themselves.

if you did do it, it would have to be WAY cheap.

5-90 said:
Probably a dumb question, but what's the advantage of leaf over coil? I ask out of interest - that, and I'm an engine man...

5-90

DON'T START THAT ARGUEMENT!!!:eek:

the main thing is it's cheap, easy lift. please let's not get into the pros and cons, it gets ugly, if you're really interested search a little and you will see what I mean.

well i was just testin the waters to see what people thought, i know there are a few out there that might show interest, this is just something i could do on the side of work to make a little extra bling here and there

Funny this should come up. I've known a few people that have done this, it's easy, different, and simple. Plus you can go real big. All the guys I know have told me it does really well flexes great and rides soft. Course everyone says that about their own jeep right?
So, at the tera jeep show I saw one of them hit the ramp. A very sorry 400 pts. That's barely better than a stock cherokee and about 100 pts less than you can expect from a cheap procomp kit w/no swaybar. I'm just glad that wasn't me, that guy took a lot of crap for it. If you decide to go different make sure it works or you get haggled hard for it.
IMO coils have the rep for a reason, leave the leafs to cj and yj owners.

if you go with the front leaf conversion go with Waggy 44's front and rear they can be had cheap and ..well are 44's !! :) I think all you'll need to get 8 inchs or so fo lift, dont' qoute me, is a set of YJ front leaves (or rear not sure which), and the YJ shackles...I've seen one done but didn't get that long of a chance to talk to the guy. But the YJ leaves I know are a perfect size as they stick out to right near the end of the front uniframe..

Ya I'd be interested, but like mad maxj said it's gotta be cheap cause anyone doing it that way is doing it because it's cheap :).

DON'T START THAT ARGUEMENT!!!

its only an argument when you get people on here that don't know how to debate.

anyone is allowed to start a thread of discussion without an UNPAID member dictating what is allowable for discussion.

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
how are you adressing spring perches in a bolt on kit?

Hunter

Good question. Also, you might as well throw out the price your thinking of selling it for. No one can really say how interested they'd be until they know the price. What will the "bolt on" kit include (Springs, shocks, u-bolts, perches,etc....)?

well, this kit would just be everything you'd need to bolt the leafs to the xj, front spring mounts/crossmember, rear spring mount brace, and all the stuff you'd need to bolt it on. what kind of price would you guys be looking at spending, this is just something i would be doing as a side project from work for a little extra money here and there. if you guys could throw out some ballpark figures on what you'd be willing to pay then it would give me a better idea of what to charge. i was thinkin ~300 or so for the kit, it would be more with springs included though.

To be honest, I have no interest in front leafs, but I do think $300 is to high. For what your talking about including, I'd say $150 - $175 is closer to being realistic. If a person paid $300 and then had to spend the coin on leafs, your getting in the price range of a decent front coil setup.
Again, how are you addressing the front perches with an all bolt on kit?

Beezil said:
its only an argument when you get people on here that don't know how to debate.

anyone is allowed to start a thread of discussion without an UNPAID member dictating what is allowable for discussion.

I'm not dictating what's allowed, just warning him. Plus, the thread was not started for debating leaves vs. coils, so if we want to do that we should start a new thread for that. Or better yet just read over the several other threads where it has already been well debated.

Just something for everyone to think about; I have NEVER seen a buggy with 1/2 eliptical (normal) leafs in the rear and coils up front. I have however seen dozens and dozens of buggys with leaves front and coils rear. Just something to think about... many people even when building from scratch see some benefits to leaves up front.

So about this "bolt on kit", I believe your only options for bolt on front axles would be F250 and F350 axles as YJ and Waggy axles come SUA and would require welding perches up top. Then you still have to deal with steering, shock mounts, etc, etc, etc....

I highly doubt you could come up with a leaf kit that would be cheap enough for people to want to do the conversion. I did my whole swap for $20 of steel and a few dollars in MIG wire. oh, and the $90 Waggy D44.

crimsonride said:
easy, different, and simple.

that describes have the NAXJA membership. Mostly the ones with one and two digit member numbers. :kissyou:

I could be interested if I saw a great working proto-type. I have the D44 front out of a F250 right now that is currently set up for leafs so I would be interested in seeing other options then a coil setup.

-Scott

well i have pleny of pictures of the setup and pictures of it in action on our club's webpage... www.rebelrockrunners.org , check there to see see how its been tellico tested and approved :D i've got some videos on there to in the videos section. if 300 or so sounds too high to everyone i could probably do it a little cheaper than that.

Most of the pictures don't show all that much flex at all. The green xj has all sorts of flex. Do you any any pic's you can show that demostrate max flex? I honestly dont have time to go through all the pics here at work. I would be looking to go full width though.

-Scott

:scholar: Spell checker sez: Half (haf) either of the two equal parts of something

MaXJohnson said:
that describes have the NAXJA membership. Mostly the ones with one and two digit member numbers. :kissyou:

Max, most of them guys left and bought Toyota Sequoias to haul their muppets around to soccer.

I dunno...leaves have lots appeal to me (in any rig) simply for the cheapness & easiness of it all... especially when mated to surplus Chevy 1t driveline parts. A 'bolt on' leaf kit with SJ Waggy 44s (or any axles) would need to be SOA for me to have fun.

Ryan, I think the idea is good, and valid, just more in the realm of the one-off custom scene. If more show interest, that is good...since one size/flavor doesn't fit all. Billa Vista did it nicely.

Back