• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 ZJ tie rods on an XJ?

dakotaguy1999

NAXJA Forum User
Hello guys,

I had a mishap with my XJ on the way to class last night - a dog ran across the highway, and I couldn't stop my Jeep or swerve due to heavy traffic on the highway. Well, the dog is in dog heaven now, and the tie rod on the XJ is bent and will need replacing. I've heard that V8 ZJ's have beefier tie rods - does anyone know if these will fit on an XJ? Figured I'd better upgrade to beefier components while I'm there. So yeah...if anyone has suggestions or answers, I'd greatly appreciate it! :) Thanks in advance!

dakotaguy1999 said:
I've heard that V8 ZJ's have beefier tie rods - does anyone know if these will fit on an XJ?

Sucks about the dog....
In regards to the tierod IIRC the ZJ one is solid vs XJ one is hollow inside thus ZJ being stronger :D Regarding a fit... it should fit.

It will fit

There is a post on either JeepsUnlimited.com or Ilovejeeps.com about this very thing. I have upgraded the tie rods and ends for a ZJ on my XJ without any modification. It is really beefy and was fairly inexpensive. I think I paid around $94'ish at the local O'reilly's. I don't have my upgrade book with me but in it I have the post printed out with the part numbers. If you don't have any luck, I'll find it and post the link here, if I don't get lazy and forget.

Back