• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have experience with failing LCA Bushings?

Markm80521

NAXJA Forum User
Got a clunk, like the d30 is loose. Mostly on bumps, turning, applying brakes.

I did do a search and actually went through everything I could and didn't find anything. Searching for a clunk on this board brings up a LOT!

I have gotten under with a large screwdriver and pushed and pryed on all the TRE's and Ball joints, pulled pushed on tires, nothing seemed out of whack. I replace the ball joints with offset ones around 4- 5 months ago but they seem to be fine. I have RE Adj LCA's and was thinking perhaps that the bushings were wearing out? Could that be a cause? They don't move by hand but I figure that they don't have to wear much to transfer vibration.

I have even removed the calipers and filled in the grooves with my welder where the calipers rest/rub because over time that can cause a the calipers to clunk and no dice.

The metal sleve in the middle of the rubber bushing could be getting some room around it.

My rustys arms are going bad right now. Quite a good thump on the passenger side.
One way to see it is to lay under and watch while somebody rocks the tire forwards/backwards on that side.

Do it with it siting on the ground and jiggle the tire pretty good, if you see much movement in the bushing that is most likely the culprit.

That makes sense. I know lca bushings tend to burn quickly if you wheel a good bit. It's always a pain to pinpoint though.

Mine were WAY loose and you could actually see the axle move(by hanging your head out the window) back and forth when switching from drive to reverse with the brake applied.

Ary'01XJ said:
Mine were WAY loose and you could actually see the axle move(by hanging your head out the window) back and forth when switching from drive to reverse with the brake applied.

Just don't ask Ary to help you change them.......could wind up missing some fingers......:D

If you are running the large style there should be a spanner nut on the one side that you can pull the set screw and tighten the whole socket up. I have to do this with my RE control arms about every 3 mounths, Michigan uses raod salt by the ton so mine must be tightend with an air hammer, because they are seized. Check and see if you are using this style.

Back