• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33" and axle and gearing question

sredish

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to buy 33" for the xj with the lift. I'd like to upgrade axles in the near future with plans for 35s later and don't want to regear then have to do over. Will the 33" run with stock 3.56 gearing decent, or is it not really an option?

Whats the best way to start the search for transplant axles? Junkyards, or what? Is there a certain make/model I should be looking for, and what is involved with the swap, as far as steering components, brake components, and so on.

Scott

Man you just asked all the question in one thread this whole forum is about. :D

Gearing will need to be addressed as you start to go wheeling on tougher and tougher trails. The gears you have will be fine for driving around now a mellow trail stuff. I would go 4.56 or 4.88 depending on which axles you end up with. And that would be for either 33 or 35s. IMO

As for the other questions, there's alot of info in search or other guys will chim in to help.

mark

BTW there is an interesting thread on 35s and 355s in Non tech. :D

sredish said:
I'm going to buy 33" for the xj with the lift. I'd like to upgrade axles in the near future with plans for 35s later and don't want to regear then have to do over. Will the 33" run with stock 3.56 gearing decent, or is it not really an option?

Whats the best way to start the search for transplant axles? Junkyards, or what? Is there a certain make/model I should be looking for, and what is involved with the swap, as far as steering components, brake components, and so on.

Scott

4:88's if you go with 35's, that will put you at about 2300-2500 at 65 depending if you have overdrive.

33's an 3:55's kinda suck( that's what I have) 2nd gear up hills.
3rd on the streets.

I have a 9" in tha back and a 44 going up front, both from an early bronco. the 9" was easy.... weld on new spring pads and slap it in.
:D

How much should I expect to pay for a Ford 9"? Also, what about widths, if I go with say a Ford 9" will it be much wider? Isn't the xj around 60", and the 9" is either 58" or 62", is that much of a problem? I guess thats where backspacing comes in.

What did you have to do with the brakes? Just hook up the brakeline into the drum and off you go, is that it?

33" and Stock Gearing...

Is there a problem with running 33's with stock gearing???

I just put 33's on my XJ and still have stock gearing... I run in 3rd on the freeway but that doesnt bother me at all... and when I hit the dirt, I dont think it matters at all because I'm in 4 Low anyways... Is there a problem with this thinking?

Ken In Corona

talk about opening a can o worms on the gearing question lol if you want a very very detalied arg. on 35s and stock gearing go look in the non tech for the 35s with 3.55s thread. But since you are asking about 33s with 3.55s and I think 35s are fine with it then I say go for it but of course you will get the usual nay sayers well poo on them.

My Question directly related to Mark's comment up above that "they (stock gears and 33's) are ok for mello trail stuff"

I'm not picking an arguement, but does strength relate to gear ratio? I can see how it would torque the gear a little more because of the higher ratio but enough to cause failure just from use?...

Jusk asking???:confused:

sredish said:
How much should I expect to pay for a Ford 9"? Also, what about widths, if I go with say a Ford 9" will it be much wider? Isn't the xj around 60", and the 9" is either 58" or 62", is that much of a problem? I guess thats where backspacing comes in.

What did you have to do with the brakes? Just hook up the brakeline into the drum and off you go, is that it?

They go for about 300.00. the 9" and 44 from the E broncos are 59 1/2 wide :D the brakes are a straight bolt in to XJ brake lines.

Ken:

you want to drive my XJ with 4.88's this weekend? It will give you a little comparison. I honestly think I need more gearing. I am on 33 TSL's now.

-Scott

Okay, let me put my interpretation down here..

First of all, 33's on 3.55's are okay temporarily, I wouldn't recommend going much taller than that on those gears though, but that's already been said :)

It depends on what you do offroad. If you keep it on the relatively easy side you should be okay with your 3.55 gears and 33" tires, you'll probably just have to run on 4WD Low more often, not a big deal.

As for breakage... The 3.55 gears and 33" tires don't directly cause the breakage. It's the fact that in order to do any hardcore wheelin' with an undergeared vehicle you have to be very heavy on the gas. In that case you risk breakage of driveline components because you're so heavy on the throttle as well as chance of other damage because you are less in control.

Sequoia

sintax said:
Ken:

you want to drive my XJ with 4.88's this weekend? It will give you a little comparison. I honestly think I need more gearing. I am on 33 TSL's now.

-Scott
More gearing than 4:88s with 33s?
I was going to ask about running 4:11s with 33s...:(

Sintax
I really hope to get out Sunday but I would only go to Azusa cause I am still working out rubbing issues with the new 33's (all I really need to do is install the bump stops I bought -- 6 hockey pucks -- and verify it stopped the tire from rubbing the rock rail...)
and until I get that squared away, I want to avoid the hard core trails... but I am looking forward to a snow run soon... --- starts doing rain dance --

Sequoia --

Great Info -- and yes, I could see breaking things with these huge tires I put on... But I have always been of the mind set that the slower you 4x4, the funner it is...

I will keep your comments in mind when I go up to Big Bear...
and if I do break a gear --- well then that would be a great time to re-gear eh?

You can do a search on this subject, it is covered every week.

I wll be running 4.10's with my 33's with a 5sp. If you are going to 35's and an auto you will want 4.56 or 4.88's IMHO.

Stock gears and 33's will be ok on the street for temp use, but you will want to change them when you get new axles.

Lots of info on this if you do a search.
Curt

Mark Hinkley said:
Man you just asked all the question in one thread this whole forum is about. :D

BTW there is an interesting thread on 35s and 355s in Non tech. :D

Whoa, my head hurts!

Originally posted by crazy4mopar They go for about 300.00. the 9" and 44 from the E broncos are 59 1/2 wide the brakes are a straight bolt in to XJ brake lines.

I just placed a call to my local yard and they're searching for one now. What gears were in your axles, or did you have to regear? What about the front steering hooking up to the 44?

Originally posted by azxjman talk about opening a can o worms on the gearing question lol if you want a very very detalied arg. on 35s and stock gearing go look in the non tech for the 35s with 3.55s thread. But since you are asking about 33s with 3.55s and I think 35s are fine with it then I say go for it but of course you will get the usual nay sayers well poo on them.

Hey, we don't need to start that again :nono: :D I took the time to read the whole stinkin thread. Thanks for the info, I'm looking to upgrade axles and don't want to regear now. My wife and in-laws are from Scottsdale, I'll be there at xmas.

:passgas:

I just wanted to post that 'cause thats what my dog is doing here right now.

All you have to ask your self when it comes to gearing is this: is a 1:1 gear ratio better than a 100:1 answer NO there you go. It's just better to have lower gearing wether you actually do it or not is up to you.

sredish said:

:passgas:

I just wanted to post that 'cause thats what my dog is doing here right now.

See I took it as Azmanboy saying this:

but of course you will get the usual nay sayers well poo on them.

Such a good way to show his experience on the subject! :D

hinkley

GSequoia said:
I think you'll be good as long as you keep it in mind, just keep your eye out on axle deals :)

You coming out to Calico?

I am not allowed to plan that far ahead with a 3 month old and a 3 year old... BUT I am acting like I am going...

I will know better the first of the year... But I hope to make it...

Re-gearing would be nice, but I just spent 2500 on SYE and tires... I'm lucky I'm not forced to sleep in the XJ right now... And I haven't even told her I want a new front bumper and winch:D

I just found a company in Iowa that sells reman. axles to your specs. They'll sell me a Ford 9" rear with either a 27 or 31 spline and a ls or open diff. I told them a 31 spline with open diff for $390 plus shipping. I don't know if thats good or not, but sounds decent. I think the shipping is what would get you.

BillR said:
More gearing than 4:88s with 33s?
I was going to ask about running 4:11s with 33s...:(
I have the 5-speed manual and have been running 4.88's with 31's for the last few months (haven't gotten around to trimming the fenders for the 35's). I'm not sure how the gearing would work on an automatic, but IMO 4.88's and 31's are meant for each other - I'm not sure if I'll be able to tolerate 4.88's and 35's (I'm being serious, here!).

Back