• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 5.5 versus 4.5 steering / shock question

sredish

NAXJA Forum User
I've about talked myself into the 5.5 kit. What drop should i get in regards to a pitman arm? I don't have the money for a full on OvertheKnuckle setup, what route do I take to get the Inverted T setup I've read about, or whats necessary to reduce some of the angle?

I searched quite a bit on this and read a lot. It doesn't sound like Rustys is strong at all, so I don't know where else to look.

Also, are the Pro Comp 3000s decent shocks, or should I go with the Doetsch Tech?

I'll be installing 33"s but have 35"s planned for the future, will much more lift be necessary?

I have Rusty's 4.5 with 2" spacers, stock pitman arm and stock steering setup and 33's on 15x10 steel. The steering isn't too bad. A little bumpsteer but otherwise no different than before I lifted it.

After you put the lift on you will have to do a rudimentary alignment before driving it to the alignment shop because the toe will be way off, unless you live really close to one. I used a long 2x4 against the front & rear tires, then wheeled the rod end out till it looked good.

I don't recommend Rusty's steering set up, as reflected by my previous post. Currie is pricey, but probably worth the money.

No drop needed. I am running OME shocks that are for a ZJ on the rear....if you go with these you will need bar pin eliminators. Not sure about the ones you mention.

33's will fit without trimming if they are 10.50's, but if you go with 12.50's you will need to trim a bit and space your wheels out some to 4.5 or there abouts.

35's are going to require trimming, but no need to lift more. I assume you are using the RE 5.5 lift which will be a bit higher than advertised unless you are running with a bunch of heavy equipment.

Some of this is experence and some is what I have read.
Curt

Apprecieate the feedback.

I haven't thought about the wheel bs to 4.5". I'll remember that. And yes, I was talking about the RE 5.5.

Curries steering upgrade is an inverted T setup that is recommended?

Back