• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering taper questions

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so I would love to do a steering set up like JnJ, but I would prefer NOT to ream out my knuckles so that I can keep my stock steering for trail spares. Here is what his set up looks like.
frontend1.jpg

In his set up, JnJ uses Chevy TREs, which I am asuuming are NOT the same taper as a D30 TRE. So, I am wondering if there are any other TREs that have a hole in it like that chevy ones he uses so that I could not have to ream my knuckles. I also would rather not have to weld on the tie rod. So, looking TRE options if anyone has them..... Woudl really like one that fits in my stock D30 taper and has a hole in it so that I can run a full length tie rod. Thanks for your help.

Older CJ are usable withouth having to change the nuckles, but the threads are 11/16x18 which is hard to find. but the tierod ends go for 12.00 from Rustys and you can get weldon for about the same price.

another good site is
http://www.xjworld.4wdriver.com/Tek.html

lots of good info on this website.

i'm in the process of building my own steering

Back