• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arms inboard?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
Is it true that mounting long arms inboard on a cherokee, ora ny vehicel for tha tmatter, will help prevent binding?
Also, is it better to have a jonny joint in the frame end or the axle end?
TIA
josh

There are so many variables in your post, it can not be answered with your current parameters.

Define long arms. Define inboard. Define bind.

There are exactly 257 ways to skin this cat.

CRASH

CRASH said:
There are so many variables in your post, it can not be answered with your current parameters.

Define long arms. Define inboard. Define bind.

There are exactly 257 ways to skin this cat.

CRASH

Actually it believe there are 287, your math is a bit off. Unless you are using that new math. :D

Mounting the arms inboard can help so that you may be able to tuck them up in some, but I don't see how that alone will help with bind.
If I was using only one JJ, I'd put it at the frame end. Again, can't really give detailed answers with our more details on what you plan to do/use.

anyone from texas couldn't possibly have a grasp on probablity using factorials. therefore, i believe your numbers are wrong. a combination of 5 variables would yield 120 possibilities. 121 possibilites if you consider that this thread might suck.

hulk, yes, please define....I'm waiting to provide some tech here.....

OK sorry, I am planning doing long arms very similar to the RE arms. I am planning on mounting them ON the "frame" rail right in front of the stock crossmember and then mount some support brackets on the crossmember to bolt them onto for strength.
I was wondering if it was mounting inboard that allowed them to be mounted up and in more. So, JnJ seems to have answered that question.
Now my question is, if I just mount brackets up in between the frame rails, welded to teh frame, in front of the crossmember, how can I do it with the bolt and nut being in there? Would it be possible to do it with a sort of E shaped bracket on its side facing down? Wow, does that make any sense?
Basically, I am looking at doing a set up similar in concept to Beezil, with two separate parts.
Part one: The brackets welded to the frame rail that hold the long arm ends,
Part two: another set of brackets similar to the ones in the bottom picture welded to the front of the stock crossmember to bolt on to the back of the other set of brackets.
My hope in doing this is to get teh ends of the arms tucked up. So my question is it this feesible with the stock crossmember?
Wow lots of questions much?:eek:
AUT_3308.JPG

are we talkin radius arms?

or do you want two lowers, and two uppers?

inside of the frame rail, is a wicked idea, but challenging!

slide underneath and visualize what needs to happen, and you'll see what I mean....

i'm not saying it can't be done, but are you ready for it?

I was planning on arms just like the RE ones with two lowers and two uppers......
I am not planning on getting them WAY up there. I just just mean up and inside the frame rails enough that they arent hanging below on the bottom of the fram rail like alot of the ones I have seen in the past. I like the height yours are at Beez.
So my overall question is if it feasible to do with the stock crossmember with some beef added to it, and some bracketry done.....and any other ideas the rest of you may have. I am thinking that some C channel to weld to might be in order....

Here's a pic of mine, from a shi tty angle. They are 4 inches inboard of the frame rail, mounted on a 6" x 2" crossmember.

DCP00905.JPG

CRASH

As you move your pivot points in you reduce binding,if you could do a triangulated lower with one pivot you would acheive zero bind.That being said I would run a JJ at the frame end and then factory rubber bushings(6 of them) to allow for the binding forces.

RCP Phx said:
As you move your pivot points in you reduce binding,if you could do a triangulated lower with one pivot you would acheive zero bind.That being said I would run a JJ at the frame end and then factory rubber bushings(6 of them) to allow for the binding forces.

Makes sense. I am planning on using the JJ on the frame end and then teh rubber all the rest of the way around. Who sells the insert and bushing together? Does RE/ Didnt I see a post the other day somewhere of someone that was now maing them? Where was that?

Last edited:
EXKSJAY, how do those thigns mount? I am curious to see more pics of how they are actually mounted and what the monuts look like. That is basically what I am talkin about so I am very curious to see!

Mine had to be trimmed to 33" so I could get them onto the crossmember holding the NV 4500. There is only one place the crossmember could go, so I had to work around it.

The new rig moves the NV up, so the mounts will be revised to allow a totally flat titanium belly pan.

CRASH

Back