• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what price for tow straps? Any bargains out there?

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
What tow straps would be good to get? Where are the best places to buy them? What price is reasonable? Any bargains out there?

I bought 1000 lbs. of excess tie down. From a military surplus auction. I´ve got tow straps, ratchet tie downs, spring clamps, assorted cables, clevises, D rings and such for this lifetime.
I make my own loops. A little glue, some time on the sewing machine and some rivets (burn the holes with a hot rod), will make a serviceable loop. Never had a loop fail.
Have heard of guys snappiing 20,000 pound rated straps. Think much of the ratings are bull. The way they learned me in school (way back when) is a 20,000 pound rated "lifting strap", has a breaking point of 40,000 pounds. Believe the big numbers are derived from the, standard used. Read the fine print. Check for a UL tag. Worked with heavy equipement and lifting machinery, we often did physical tests. The only way to know for sure, is to actually lift ten, twenty, 50 tons.
And remeber jerking, say 2 and a half tons, is gonna generate a serious multiple of that wieght. Slow steady pull.

Back