• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering squeak

AKjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 99 xj and when i turn the steering wheel sometimes it makes a high pitched noise, my question is there anything that can be lubricated, or a grease zerk anywhere, the noise is coming from inside the steering column. any advice would be appreciated

Does this happen when its cold ? Notice your from the frozen North.IIRC the TJs has this squeak in their steering column that came from an un-lubricated seal,and would only happen in the cold.
This may point you in the right direction.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Does this happen when its cold ? Notice your from the frozen North.IIRC the TJs has this squeak in their steering column that came from an un-lubricated seal,and would only happen in the cold.
This may point you in the right direction.
Wayne

Does anybody have more information about this? I'm wondering where this dry seal is, and how difficult it is to lube?

I have this problem too.... really annoying on cold mornings! I searched and found this thread but unfortunately, no one ever replied with an answer to the original problem. Does anyone know where this seal/gasket is on a 99 & know how to get to it?

I got an '01 with the squeal in sunny San Diego. Temp has nothing to do with mine, but it is really starting to piss me off none the less.

TheNerd said:
I got an '01 with the squeal in sunny San Diego. Temp has nothing to do with mine, but it is really starting to piss me off none the less.

hm... I only ever noticed mine doing it on cold mornings. It's good to hear though that I'm not alone here! There has to be a simple fix.

I'm afraid though that it may involve tearing the steering column apart :(

You have to dismantle the steering column to get to it. There is a bracket under the dash that the column goes through and the bushing is there.

Depending on the year XJ you have, you could have a 3-4 hour or all weekend job.

rstarch345 said:
You have to dismantle the steering column to get to it. There is a bracket under the dash that the column goes through and the bushing is there.

Depending on the year XJ you have, you could have a 3-4 hour or all weekend job.

That was what I was afraid of! I had the entire dash apart last year when I put my OC in. Wish I had known about it then. I'll probably just live with it for now.

I've searched for a solution to this problem, but this is the only thread that directly deals with the problem that I too am having with my 99 XJ. Did anyone go through with it and try and lube everything up? I would like to have a little more instruction or details before I tear mine apart. The noise is getting worse and worse, and the cold weather just makes it happen almost all the time.

ill check my FSM when i get home, those things get really detailed

Sounds simple enough. I sure hope that it's an easy of a fix as it sounds. Thanks for your answers.

So it's not just mine......been living with this since I bought the thing 3 years ago and its driving me absolutely insane. Gonna have to give this one a try tomorrow.

I too have the cold weather squeak/high pitch fart. Ill try this quick fix tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

I had the same problem on my 98, It was coming from the rubber boot near the firewall. Like jneary said, just lube it up.

Back