• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight switch

martin

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,

While nn on` of my 450 mile trips „` St Lo4as I had a prob<`m. I ` out of nashville and it near sundown. I turn on the head lights to b "ldgal

I h`t a pot hole in the rob and nricdd m radio and clock were going from day brightness and back to head light on brightness. I also heard a clicking of the head light switch.

I am about 1/3 the way to my destination and decided I should be able to find a parts store in Clarksville, TN - home of Ft Campbell and the 101st Airborne. I find a big box parts store at twilight with only my parking light on. I go in and they happen to have one on stock.

I spend the next hour changing out the switch, lucky for me the parts guy told me to press the button to release the handle.

I got the switch back together and headlights are working. My only problem is my headlight delay off feature does not work. I may of unplugged it while doing the work. I will check my manuals now that I am back. Anyone have any tips on the delay module?

So in the past 2 weeks I changed the headlight switch and the ignition switch. My recommendation is to anyone with a late 80s XJ if you do one do both while you have the dash apart.

Martin

Agreed on the replacement schedule. I just did the headlight switch on my 87 last week. I haven't had a problem with the ignition yet, but will consider doing it next time I'm in there. Sorry I can't help you with the delay module though because my base model didn't have that feature.

Sequoia you hit the nail on the head, it was the 25 amp fuse. I was thinking more complicated. I remember seeing a connector and wondered if I had unplugged the module.

I had to run to the parts store to get some fuses since I was lacking a 25 amp. Now my XJ if fully stocked with fuses for any problems. I had every size but 25 amps, go figure!

Martin

Back