• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting spare

Çrestfa||en

NAXJA Forum User
hey Me and my friend were thinking of mounting the spare on the hood like a land rover. Any ideas on wether this would be legal or not? :)

I would be concerned about visual imparement issues (depending on tire size). I also don't think a stock hood could support the weight of tire and rim.....
My thoughts.

Cut a hole in the hood the size of your spare. Take a tire hanging braket of a wrangler from a junk yard. JB weld it to your valve cover. Bang, there you go. :D

Good Idea CS! And ya the stock hood can I stand on the hood sometimes.

Çrestfa||en said:
And ya the stock hood can I stand on the hood sometimes.

I'm not a jerk, and I normaly wouldn't pick on your grammer, But I can't figure out what it is your tring to say.

Please Explain:confused:

Çrestfa||en said:
hey Me and my friend were thinking of mounting the spare on the hood like a land rover. Any ideas on wether this would be legal or not? :)

They stopped running those badboys on the hood when the stopped with teh series rigs...and even in the series rigs, if you run modern tires (width) visibility SUCKS.

Sorry when I looked at that sentence I couldn't understand it either.

Re: Re: Mounting spare

TOZOVR said:
They stopped running those badboys on the hood when the stopped with teh series rigs...and even in the series rigs, if you run modern tires (width) visibility SUCKS.

TOZOVR is right, the hoods of series rigs are designed to take the weight, the tires are very narrow, and the windshield of the series rigs is significantly taller than a jeep, infact, there is several inches between the bottom of the windshield and the hood. Visibility is significantly reduced but it is still very duable and legal. If you tried sticking even a 33x9.5 on the top of a xj hood you wouldn't even want to BACK out of your driveway!!

I suspect every states laws are different.

Michael

Çrestfa||en said:
Good Idea CS! And ya the stock hood can I stand on the hood sometimes.

He's asking if the stock hood will support his own weight, when he's up there getting the spare off.

Myself, I'd worry more about the visibility issues, as others have mentioned. Granted, with mine (33's) there aren't any GOOD places to put the damned thing..finally got a wilderness bumper with carrier for the rear. Figure now, if anyone hits me (and I only have a 50 percent chance of seeing them now :p), I won't know till I get home and see a Toyota emblem embedded in the bead.

Tires mounted on rear carriers are the worst I think. I was in a van that my friend was driving and he couldn't stop fast enough on the freeway. He hit an suv with a tire carrier and tire, which pushed that suv into 3 others all with rear tire carriers. All the tire carriers bent and put the tire through the rear windows. I'd rather have someone hit my bumper than destroy my entire rear hatch. Sucked for my friend though his insurance went way up. Probably couldn't stop cause there were 8 guys in the van.

I think I'm gonna mount my spare on my hood... gotta do something that no one else is... even if there is a reason why they're not :)

Why not stick the 33" flat in the cargo area?? IIRC that's the most that you can squeeze in there.... I currently have a 31" sitting flat with a strap over it and I had an aluminum rack (home brew) that gave me a "shelf" to go over the tire but that proved a bit flimsy for heavier loads :( So now I'm making a steel one (boogerwelding rocks :D). The way it's designed I will be able to put a 33" tire in there....

In regards to the tires on the rear carriers... well, from what I have heard of XJ's in accidents I don't think I heard of anyone really trashing the hatch (if the tire mount was done right of course). Ussually it was the other way around, it server as a nice "bumper" :D

Back