• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

College Kid With Icitis

catyrpelius

NAXJA Member #1023
hey, i thought i was gunna lift my jeep 3 inches but im starting to have second thoughts as the overwhelming consesnses is going to be that ill need a sye and new driveshaft unfortunatly i dont got the clams for both and new tires which i definatly need. Any one know of ne options short of robbing a bank. What will a cherokee look like with a bb?? im going for look more then functionality at the moment but i want to get away without havein to put on s sye

lets start with couple questions: which year cherokee do you have and what do you plan to use it for (hit trails... just drive around town and so on).... depending on that, there are different paths that can be taken....

what is the year of your cherokee??? If it's a pre 96 (or so) you will not have as big of a problem with vibes with about a 3" lift.... now when you lift it, do it right (even a BB) and use either a full length AddALeaf or a new spring pack (short AAL or blcoks and even shackles on a stock pack will cause premature sag). Then you can slap some 30" tires and it will still be very very capable and allow you to hit some trails.. but..... on the other hand a stock cherokee is VERY capable as it is.... very little work is required to put on some 235's and enjoy it that way... while enjoying it invest into some skids (if you don't have any) and rock rails and front and rear tow points (a lot of groups will not let you join them on a trial ride if you do not have front and rear tow points).....

Then search this forum using keywords such as "lifts", "budget", "boost" and so on and you should be able to find quite a few identical posts (I think I actually recall one last week) to get more details... then post more questions .... and remember Jeep stands for JustEmptyEveryPocket

From what you've said, I would get a 2" budget boost with a full-length AAL and put 30" tires on it. All you have to do to jump to 3" or 3.5" later is add a shackle in the rear and some up-country or zj coils in the front. If you're set on 3" now, then just get a 1" transfer case drop along with the lift.

my question is, i have gotten a good price on a 3.5 inch super flex with aal's and shakels. I am eventually going to go to a higher lift height and get new leaf springs then i think. How bad is this death wobble, is it sort of like an unbalanced tire wobble or is it worse, will i be able to get away with say driving my lifted xj for a week without a sye if it has death wobble or should i just get the sye ahead of time

SYE, or lack of one, don't induce death wobble, they're two separate things. An RE 3.5 lift usually comes out higher than the advertised 3.5", and you will need an SYE. You can get a 1" transfer case drop and get by without the SYE temporarily. Or, to save money, get some 1" thick scrap steel or box steel from a yard, cut it, and drill 2 holes in each one, that's your t-case drop.

Back