• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum lines

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Ok, so on Saturday we put a RE 5.5" on my Jeep. I've got the vac-disco front end. The (current) problem is that the vacuum lines to the shift motor are now too short. What should I do, short of putting in a non-disco shaft? Cut and splice in longer vac lines? Pull the motor, shim the fork, and close it back up? Get a posi-lock cable? :dunno: Thanks. Phil

I have read several different ways of doing this. do some searches.

Everything from just engaging it and putting plugs over the vaccum connections to taking it appart and putting a hose clamp around the little shaft the fork runs on to hold it to the correct side.

andy

I currently have the same exact issue on my hands. I know of a few different ways to resolve the issue, but I have not decided what I want to do yet.

I know when I pulled the plug off of the vac motor it was engaged in 4wd. I just do not know if it will stay in 4wd or if sometime during a wheeling trip will disengage and end up with 3wd.

The washer mod is looking pretty good right about now, I would rock a posi-lock if someone was looking to sponser me ;)

-Scott

So you've got a switchable vacuum leak under your vehicle near the passenger's side UCA body mount? sounds fun ---

there is a certain thrust element to the collar that will cause the fork to slide enough to diengage... something to look at.

For my $$, replace the hoses (splicing has a couple of drawbacks, but can be done... if y'wanna) with new, more appropriate length vacuum lines (if you're keeping the disco) -- cost-'ll be about 25 minutes and less than 6-feet of vacuum tubing.

It's not too tough - there's only qty=3 hoses that all fit-up quite well to metal fittings on both ends.

Andy...there's a difference between knowing what the options are, and getting advice on what might be best to do.:)
Anybody else deal with this?

Back