• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

projector fog lights

92jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I will do it anyways. I just bought a set of projector fog lamps off of a BMW 325 and I was wondering as to hooking them up. Does anyone know about projector lights? I know they are ricey, but they are not little 2 inch circles. They are 5 1/2 by 4, so they aren't stupid looking.But, when it comes to mounting, does it matter which end is pointed up as to the light beam? For a fog light, does it have a light pattern made to have one end down so that it is lower? Am I making sense? I guess what I am saying is I would like to mount the lights with the mouting bracket below the light instead of above. Will this work or are all of you lost now? Please at least try to help me.
Tylor

Here is a pic of the lights. See what you think.

e7_1.JPG

If they are really fog lights then there is a definite up and down to them. Real fog lights project all the light low with a flat topped beam. Once you shine light into the fog above the roadway, all you see is illuminated fog.

that is what I thought, but he didn't know and I don't know if they are fog or driving. I guess I will find out when I wire them up.

Oh, and I live in Orlando, FL, so I won't be using them as fog lights much. I bought them to use as driving lights to use during the day for the saftey factor. I know, headlights do the same, but I rather have another set of lights.

When I mounted my projectors, the housings were designed to only mount below the bumper but I needed them mounted on top for clearance reasons. I disassembled the housing and 'flipped' the optics over. This reversed the beam pattern to match my upside down mounting position.

DSC01635s.JPG

I *think* those are 'combo' lights, with a twin-filament bulb. Should have two 'hot' wires (prolly red and black, but with a european car, who knows) and a white ground.

The 'projectors' would shine a good straight 'pencil beam' down the road aways, while the fluted lens sides would 'scatter' light low and to the sides.

The connections should go thru a DPDT relay, so the pencil beams only work on HI beam and the fogs only work on LO beams.
You could then splice another wire from the ignition to operate the fogs independently/automatically as Daytime Running Lights (DLR's).

Be sure that the wiring is such that BOTH filaments are NEVER on at the same time, as this will produce so much heat as to burn-out the bulb.

Seem like good lights, should work fine.
-Rick

The projectors (pictured previously) from the Bimmer are a fog pattern not a pencil beam. Both sets on my Jeep are the same way.
I've never seen a twin filament bulb mounted within a true projector lens assembly. These usually house an H3 bulb and in this case the bulb appears to be crystal ion giving the projector lens an iridescent blue tint to them. The light emitted from the crystal ion will be bright yellow.

That sounds good. I still havn't recieved the lights yet. SHould be here today or monday of next week. I will let you all know when they get here as to the wiring on it. Thanks again.

Back