• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end noise..

xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
87 XJ Waggy w/ 145K, plus...

Front end is "woosh-woosh-wooshing". It's most noticable while coasting at 15-25 MPH. The sound speeds/slows with vehicle's speed.

We just replaced a clearly worn bearing assembly with a new one from Q-tec (not an advertisement). The tire still wiggles a little.

Any suggestions..? How about an instant-cure, maybe..?

Thanks

Additional info...

With the front end raised, the NP 242 in "2wd" and the transmission in "park". When I spin the driver's side front wheel, the front driveshaft turns. Is that right..?

If your non-disco that is ok. If you have a locker in the front that is OK also.

If the tire still wiggles a little, you need to check your ball-joint.

If the tire still wiggles a little, you need to check your ball-joint

and BrokenXJ knows ALL about ball joints lately .......:D

are you sure its not tire noise? i assume this is a "new" noise... or is this why you replaced the bearing?
mike

The front end had been making a "whooshing" sound and the passanger side wheel had a lot of movement when we initially "shook it down"... That made the hub replacement an eay decision. Unfortunately, with 16 years and 145K, it was an 8 hour job (with plenty of Lagers).

Afterwards, the "whoosh" was still present, albeit much less intense. Also, the tire still had a slight amount of play when we "shook it down" after the new hub install.

It looks as though I might have to go to an actual mechanic...

Ugh...

It could be that the worn bearing caused some weird wear or cupping in your tires. You may try to balance and rotate the tires to see if that fixes it.

OK.. We replaced the hub assembly (passanger side) again. Q-tec was gracious enough to send a replacement, free of charge.

Also, all the TRE's (including the drag link) have been replaced and we added a new track bar/mount (Rustys). We also tightend the steering box.

I got an alignment/wheel balance/rotation done ($120).

I still have a front end noise... Not to mention poor road manners.

My new question:

I am going to remove the front driveshaft to see if my front end noise is coming from there. With the NP242, is there anything to worry about (clips/oil seals, etc..)..??

If the noise goes with the drive shaft, I'll rebuild it.

1987 XJ Wagoneer 4.0 - AW4 - NP242... and 235 M/Ts

The steering damper is also new.

Last edited:
Front driveshaft removal is easy... 4 small bolts on the front pinion yoke that hold the 2 U-joint straps in place, and 4 bolts holding the double cardan joint to the transfer case front output yoke. Don't be afraid to pop the joint out of the front yoke with a screwdriver... on a vehicle that old they are likely going to be a bit tight. Just don't lose the bearing caps on the front U-joint; it is a good idea to wrap electrical or duct tape around the entire thing to hold them in place while the shaft is out of the vehicle.

Good luck on the noise; could it be brake-related? Maybe the dust shield rubbing on the rotor?

Back