• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junk yard leaf springs. Which ones.

BrokenXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I need one year out of the BrokenXJ. My current Tomken 4.0 leafs are bending the wrong way now :( and don't think its feasible to just flip them over like some members of the NAC chapter suggest :) I currently have about 1" of lift from my Ford8.8 set-up. What junk-yard leafs, would give me 2-3" ? Someone mentioned Durango? has anyone tried these?

Dakota, not Durango. Specifically, the older Dakotas that were spring under, because they have more arch in the springs.

Ryan (CheapXJ) runs Dakota leaves, I believe.

I used dakota leaves on the wifes first xj. I think the latest you can use is 96. Not sure about the earliest and latest year but I just use early 90's. Using the whole dakota pack (just cutting eyes off dakota main and applying whole dakota pack to xj main leaf) we got about 4-4.5". Ride was great and flexxed well. I suppose if you took off the dakota overload leaf (thick one at bottom) you would find your self at 3.5-4".

I dunno if dakota leaves would hold up to a year with you...

they didn't hold up to a year in the back of my junk, of course, I didn't use the dak. main leaf w/ the eyes cut off (which I'm going to throw in soon to try and get the rear up a little bit.

something else to consider, the 7 leaf front packs from an 80s wagoneer. they'd be stiff, but since you carry enough parts to rebuild 3 XJs all the time, they'll probably be just right for you :D

Eagle said:
Dakota, not Durango. Specifically, the older Dakotas that were spring under, because they have more arch in the springs.

Ryan (CheapXJ) runs Dakota leaves, I believe.

shouldn't durango leafs work too? they're spring under and 2.5" wide. i don't see why not. we used MJ leafs on my brothers XJ. we cut off the eyes, used the overload leaf, and used the shackles for 4.5". it rides nice.

matthew

sarvermr said:
shouldn't durango leafs work too? they're spring under and 2.5" wide. i don't see why not. we used MJ leafs on my brothers XJ. we cut off the eyes, used the overload leaf, and used the shackles for 4.5". it rides nice.

matthew

I thought Durangos were spring over. :anon:

Back