• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how can i tell the axle i have

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
another dumb question im throwin out i know but how do i tell if i have the dana 44 axle. i cant find my jeep manual so i don know. I know that axle is the one with the towing package or whatvere and im not sure if i have it but i dont know. And also how do i tell if i have the Chrysler 904 auto and Aisin AW4 Auto . Thanks.

Check the shape of the cover - the D35 is almost oval, while the D44 is nearly hexagonal. A quick look will reveal a rounded bottom (D35) or a "flat" bottom (D44.)

Since you have an 89, I can almost guarantee that you don't have the ChryCo 8.25" (which is also a "flat" bottom, but saw first use in 1991 with the coversion due to the Chrysler purchase of Jeep in 1988.)

Your front axle will be the Dana 30 - and you have the non-disconnect if you have the NP242 transfer case, found behind the AW4 in the Limited version. Other XJ's have the "disconnect" front axle, where there is a small vacuum actuator on the passenger (long) side of the axle housing.

5-90

I believe the only auto in '89 was the AW4 with the 4 liter engine. Word is that only the D44 was only available in '87. My '87 has it and it didn't come with a tow package. My '89 with factory tow package has the D35. The cover on the D35 is almost round and very much symmetrical. The the D44 isn't quite so round or symmetrical.

If you post your vin number I'll try and run an option list for you and that should tell you what you have.
Lenny

I run 31s with a Dana 35. It's fine if you don't go crazy with the skinny peddle.

if it is a dana 44, it will have a 44 forged into the dif by the cover... i think thats where they put it, its been a while since ive looked at mine

Back