• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Lock Tumbler

PaulJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know how to get the tumbler out of the door lock? I've got a good one from the pull-it yard that I want to put my original tumbler in.

If memory serves, there is a "slip clip" on the inside of the door panel that will release the lock cylinder, and it will pull out toward the outside once the clip is removed.

Expect to have trouble with the faceplate, I understand they often need to be replaced when the lock cylinder is removed.

5-90

I already have the whole lock cylinder/tumbler assembly out. I'm now trying to get the core/tumbler out.

door lock

Might wanna take it to a locksmith,if you screw it up,your gonna wind up havin to replace it.
If you replace IT,then you either replace all(2 keys) or you have 3 keys.
Door locks at a dealer @$10-$12 ea
rear hatch lock at a dealer @$70-$80
Chance of getting locks w/keys from a donor,
10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1

All you have to do is take the face plate off. It is bend all around the cylinder so just bend it up straight and the core will fall right out. Hope that helps
Lenny

Yep, I just figured that out. It wasn't meant to be re-keyable. The escutcheon has to come off to get the core out then the escutcheon isn't very attractive anymore.

You know I build those cylinders everyday here at work. When you get a new one it has two covers one is black and the other chrome. You use one and through the other one away. I would go to your dealer and see if he has kept any of them.
Lenny

PaulJ said:
Yep, I just figured that out. It wasn't meant to be re-keyable. The escutcheon has to come off to get the core out then the escutcheon isn't very attractive anymore.

That's not completely true. For you and I, it's not re-keyable. For a locksmith, it is. The secret: a locksmith will have replacement virgin escutcheons to replace the one he trashes when he takes the lock apart.

I have had locksmiths do this for me before on auto lock cylinders. It's typically about $10 to refit the cylinder to match a given key. Check in the yellow pages under locksmiths.

2 weeks ago I had my locks redone, I brought the 2 door cylinders in (had no existing entry keys, P.O. said he lost them?) And they made a new key for the cylinders, had to repair both of the internals of them, 3 key coppies, and new outside parts (silver cover and little flap thing), all for $22.00, Pretty cheap I thought, and now it functions as stock, one key for the doors, hatch, and glove box.:)

Back