• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lock rite

Çrestfa||en

NAXJA Forum User
Two questions:

1. Just bought a lockrite installed it today didn't put in some washers and a spring fell out and it chewed it up. Took it apart installed it correctly but missing a spring will it work with only 3 of 4 springs? Not that I am going to run it like this of course I am gunna replace it and fix it but ya just wana know.

2. I hear of people running 35s-36s on the dana35. How big can I go if I have the lockrite on my dana35c-clip. The places I wheel are ussually hills putting lots of torque on the axles. I've heard the ring a pinion are the weaker points not the axle shafts.

Right now I am running stock tires about an inch and a half of lift and soon to have a lockrite.

1. Just bought a lockrite installed it today didn't put in some washers and a spring fell out and it chewed it up. Took it apart installed it correctly but missing a spring will it work with only 3 of 4 springs? Not that I am going to run it like this of course I am gunna replace it and fix it but ya just wana know.

I'd put the spider and side gears back in and take the Lock-Right out until I had all the parts. It will probably work with one spring out, but why risk damaging the locker if it doesn't.

2. I hear of people running 35s-36s on the dana35. How big can I go if I have the lockrite on my dana35c-clip. The places I wheel are ussually hills putting lots of torque on the axles. I've heard the ring a pinion are the weaker points not the axle shafts.

It's hard to advise a limit as we don't know what kind of wheeling you do or how you drive. I've heard of some people breaking D35's on stock size tires and of people with 33's who have got away with them. The D35 has many faults including small R & P, weak tubes, and weak axles. If you have to use the D35, my advise is to go no higher than 31's and be gentle.

RR3

This pertains to the Lock Right question: Do it right or don't do it at all :) No sense wasting your hard earned dollars on "it may,or may not work". :thumbup:

As for the Dana 35: It really depends on two major factors:
1) Your terrain
2) Your driving style

If the terrain is mostly dirt or other terrain that will "give" a little,thus making it a little easier on the drivetrain,and your driving style is a little more "finnesse" oriented,then you could possibly get away with the 35. Just try it and see what it does. If it breaks,then you *know* you need to upgrade. If it doesn't,stay with your current driving style,as that's what seems to work best for you. Just remember,when you break something, you know where a weak link is,and whether you choose to protect that weak link by installing stronger parts or just trying to take better care of said part is up to you.

Last edited:
i had to order the springs and stuff for 1 I bought cheap, call richmond gear, a completr set is only 20 bucks I think, John

I broke my D35 with 33's and a Lock-Right,

All behind the little 2.5L engine that was not running well. Of course I was playing in the Rock Guarden at Crawfords! Ask Ga Mike he saw it!

Re: I broke my D35 with 33's and a Lock-Right,

Ghost said:
All behind the little 2.5L engine that was not running well. Of course I was playing in the Rock Guarden at Crawfords! Ask Ga Mike he saw it!

Like I said..."if you're driving style is a little more 'finnesse' oriented..." :laugh:

Seriously,though. Glenn was getting a little rougher than I would've been doing,but it did hold up for a while,anyway:D

Before they changed hands I called Lock Right and got the springs and pins lor free. YMMV ?
Wayne

I'm just gunna get the springs from a local shop only 15bucks. Luckily I can steal my little bro's car since he doesn't have his license :)

Back