• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Absorbers 101 ???

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Trying to do some budget suspension work on one of the fleet. MJ needs rear shocks. I have a pair of perfectly good Gas Ryder rear shocks ... from an XJ. XJ uses bar pins at the top, MJ uses the same eyes at the top as at the bottom.

"Simple," sez I. Just pull the bar pins. However, when that was accomplished the upper bushings had a 3/8" I.D. -- the studs for the mount have a 5/8" O.D., so we have an interference fit.

I need to replace the bushings. Tried using some universals I found at Pep Boys -- could not get them into the loop to save my life. Has anyone else ever replaced shock bushings? If so, where did you get the bushings, and how did you get them into the shocks?

TIA

Eagle,

Try a little white grease all around the bushing and the loop. Squeeze together w/ a vise. Mine popped right in.

HTH

John

Seems like when I installed my bushings last spring, I poured a dollop of clean motor oil on them and bopped them into the eye with a mallet. I needed a third hand to hold the shock...couldn't talk them into holding the bushings ;)

I dunno if you have a vise or a small press handy- I didn't- but that works as well, in a more controlled manner than the above

IIRC when I put shox on the MJ, I lubed the inner diameter of the bushing, and bopped the shox on with the mallet then too.

first question: figure 8 or straight bushing?? If 8, then you're really best of pusing it in witha vise or a big c clamp. I use usually vise for all my shock bushing installs and yes... a little bit oil helps (it goes in best with mobil 1 10w30 :D use other weights at your own risk LOL).

Tried the vise thing. Also tried using a length of 1/2" all-thread and some large washers, to get a more axial clamping than trying to hold it in a vise. Used silicone grease for lube. No joy.

It seemed that the universal bushings were just too big to fit. They were'nt exactly "figure 8" style -- they were straight barrel with enlarged ends.

Where did y'all get your bushings? Did they come with the shocks new, or were you replacing worn bushings?

I got my replacement bushings from a nearby shop. I looked up the sizes I needed on DT's website for the shocks I had and called and ordered Energy bushing to match, had them the next day. They where a royal pain to replace, some oil and a vise does make it easier.

I'll see if I can find the part numbers.

--Matt

Eagle.. go here to find your bushings http://www.energysuspension.com/sk_bsp1.html

And if you go to their homepage you probably will find a local dealer. Btw... those bushings too a bit more work to get them in... but it's also possible. I have held the shock vertical and engaged as much of everything below as possible: I had 99.9% of bushing and about 99% Of the shock eye loop thingy in the vicegrips jaws as I gently half turn at a time brought everything in together. The hard part is getting the lip through, but once that goes in... it's a piece of cake.

Thank you, Sir!

=====>(Eagle goes to garage w/ tape in hand)

Eagle said:
It seemed that the universal bushings were just too big to fit. They were'nt exactly "figure 8" style -- they were straight barrel with enlarged ends.

I kind of realized this now... was your shock setup for figure 8 bushings?? if so, no other will really work as the inner narrowness will compress the bushing and you wouldn't be able to get it onto the mount short of drilling it out to be bigger....

Nope -- straight bore, and the old, small bushings had straight shanks with enlarged ends.

Back