• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what next?

xj dREW

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what the smart things for me to do on my XJ would be ?? I have a 94 Sport w/ 3" "procomp lift and some 31"s and thats about it. Ive been taking it off road quite a bit and not sure what other upgrades need to be done to maintain my jeeps performance. I see lockers,rear disconnects and gears and all this stuff but have no clue if this is anything i need

I was also curious to know if i wanted to go bigger with my lift and only having a 3inch procomp lift could i add spring spacers and shackles to it for it to go higher? or would that mess stuff up and if i am able to just add those things what other things come along with that , and is it just as much money in the long run to just get a bigger lift?

sorry i didnt know where to put these questions on the forum and this looked like the most legit place to do so

drew
Marietta, GA
[email protected]

First of all, if you add spacers and a shackle or whatever to go higher, there is a lot of other stuff that needs to be corrected, such as SYE for the transfer case, steering geometry, brake lines, etc. To know what a good mod would be on your Jeep, what holds you back when off-roading? Tires spinning and loss of traction (locker), tires coming off the ground (more suspension flex, locker, sway-bar disconnects), not enough clearance or hitting stuff underneath (more lift or armor). Decide what's holding you back and put the money towards that. If nothing is holding you back it couldn't hurt to put the money towards some armor underneath or some stuff to make the Cherokee stronger, such as a steering brace, steering box frame plates, chassis stiffener, etc.

You didn't say if your XJ was already equiped with tow hooks or skid plates so that would be my first suggestion. After that I would go with some disconnects for the front and ditch the rear sway bar all together. Next would be a rear locker of some sort and if you're spending the money and tearing into the axles you may want to think about regearing to 4:10 or even 4:56 if you're planning to go big later on down the road. Adding more lift to your 3" is doable, but in the long run I would suggest starting over with something bigger and possibly from another manufacturer. The procomp lift I ran back in the day beat me to death on the street and on the trail. I'm sure someone else will chime in to point you in the right direction. Just remember, you can have alot of fun and surprise the hell out of people with an XJ on 31's and a rear locker. Good luck!
MIke

Back