• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch bypass

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
i am wondering has anyone bypassed the clutch switch so you don"t have to hold the clutch in to restart an xj? if so i would be grateful to here how.

I bought my '96 used and it never needed to have the clutch engauged to start. I had never had a vehicle that had a kill switch on the clutch.

I thought this was normal until I read about people wanting to disable the clutch switch. There is suppose to be some wires under the dash that you can rig to disable the clutch switch.

As far as I know '96 didn't have that dumb feature. Thank goodness. I hate idiot features.

Curt

I don't recall what year the clutch interlock became standard equipment, but when it did there was also a recall to retrofit it to older models. When buying a used XJ, it might or might not have it, depending on whether or not the previous ownerr had the recall performed.

I would think that anything installed after the fact should also be able to be removed or bypassed fairly easily, but I don't have specifics on how the recall "feature" was wired. Just for laughs, try looking for a plunger switch mounted to the clutch pedal linkage under the dash.

Back