• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling systems flush

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Just got back from doing a cooling system flush and refil using one of the snap-on machines. Really simple to use, remove hose from thermstat housing and attach adapter to housing, attach second adapter to upper hose, attach lines using the air type snap on style connector to both adapters. Start machine and it draws a ~20 lb vacum and pulls out old coolant, takes about 10 minutes and removed about 90% of the old stuff, then reverse machine and pump in new premixed coolant that is pushed in in a reverse flow that removed the 10% the suction missed, you can see the color change as soon as all the old stuff it out and the amount of crud :eek: the filter catches is amazing considering I take care of my system pretty well. It is a pretty neat gadget. Going back in on thursday for the brakes as I need new rear cylinders and shoes which considering I have 184,xxxx mi on it and the rear brakes are original comes as no big suprise and will do the brake line flush then.
Need to pick up a new bib for under the engine though.

I'm a bit confused.

Is this a DIY at someplace like the quarter carwash, or a shop that let you observe the procedure?

-Rick

It was done at a new garage that a friend opened up a few weeks ago. I built and setup all his computer stuff for the new snap-on/Mitchell diagnostics systems, installed and setup his phone system and a bunch of other stuff. We worked out an equitable agreement :D that benefits us both. He seems to be getting alot of higher end cars, vettes, MB's and BMW's so I am also putting up a wireless network and building two systems with broadband access for his customers to work on while they wait, using leda computer desks and nice chairs, of course they have my name on them :D and my advertising brochures. They can drop off systems and I'll either repair them there or take them back to my shop. Kind of a 'cyber auto shop' w/coffee :D
Plus I'll change tires or anything else I can do to help him when it gets busy :angel:

Well, back down to philly, forgot the covers for the surface mount conduit this morning, grrrr, I hate it when I do that ...

Back