• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long leaf

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
Living in the middle of Germany; I have to make some compromises. Parts are generally double here. Ordering from the states and shipping, duty etc. also about double.
Have an extra XJ rear spring pack, was thinking of cutting the eye off long, just at the outside of curve (for the eye) might give a little support, to the existing eye and help strengthen the very end of the spring. I don´t do much wild off-roading, but I do pound things pretty good on farm/tractor roads. Bumps and ruts. I´ve skinned the rear fender wells a few times with my 30X9.50 mud treads. Figure it´s just a matter of time, before I clean the liner out of the wheel well or mess up my flares.
If I put in the long leaf, where can I get some spring clamps to fit? Ordering light stuff from the states, is a little easier on the wallet.
Tech, inspection here is a bear, I like to keep things looking as stock as possible, so they don´t look to close.
Typical prices, two row radiator $250, CS 131 alternator $220, fan clutch $91, 3 inch spring pack (approved) $400 a spring. If I didin´t do my own work and fabricate a little, I couldn´t afford to drive one of those fureen cars (Jeep). I´ve re arched spring packs before, but the finisherd product is kinda iffy. Don´t really know what the lift is gonna be until you try it.

This is what we refer to as a "home brew" add-a-leaf. I did this recently on an '88 Laredo that I fixed up for a friend out west. Used the main leaves from a wrecked '89 Limited.

The AAL netted about 1" over stock height. The original springs were sagged a bit, so the gross lift was probably 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". Ride with the extra leaf and the old shocks is noticeably more firm, but definitely not "harsh." I drove it across the country to deliver it and it was a very comfortable trip.

By "spring clamps" I assume you are referring to the sheet metal wraps that keep the leaves aligned? Don't know of an on-line place but I buy them locally at a spring shop. The ones I get happen to be the right width that I can even reuse the OEM rubber inserts with the new clamps. They're cheap -- about $1.50 or $2 each. If you want me to get you some, hit me with a PM. I buy replacement center pins at the same shop. You'll need those with the new leaves.

are there any leaf springshops out there were you could get them rearched?

We have a truck spring shop not to far away. I´ve had them re-arch a couple of pick-up packs. One set turned out, with way more lift than I´d planned on (was looking for three, got six, really stiff). Most of there work, is on European truck packs. The bits and pieces don´t quit fit (don´t have the hardware). Metric versus inches. They don´t have the patterns for American packs. Or the spring rates down pat.
There are some local outlets for springs, where a body can pick up a set of U-bolts and such. The spring bolts, clamps, pads, pins and misc. hardware are usually the hardest to find. Ran across a site for Fortec (germany), supposed to be a European outlet for a U.S. company. Have you heard the name? Some local shops use U.S. names and have absolutly no affiliation, some have a bad rep (ripp off artists), use knockoff junk parts and such. They prey on the service members, stationed in Germany.

Back