• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion yoke swapping

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
i'm collecting parts for my axle (D30/D44) rebuild thru the off-season... doin 4.56's with a lock-right up front and a spool in 44.. i'm not liking the cheesy straps that retain the u-joints, front or rear, i havent exhausted myself with research yet but i wanna bounce this off you guys... i want to replace the pinion yokes with "u-bolt" type... i know older CJ's ran these on these axles but my understanding it that the pinion spline count onthe older axles is different than the newer(current) setup.... is it as simple as just using gears for an older axle? or does it snowball into different carriers and what-not? i cant imagine you H/C guys are still running straps.. or is it a nessecary "weak" link?
thanks guys
mike

D44 Straps VS U-bolts

Acording to the spicer engineers the strap type yokes are stronger than the u-bolt type. However if you break a u-bolt you can replace it without drilling and tapping.
D44 yokes come for the 1310 (std XJ), 1330 and 1350 u-joints from Dana. You need to fabricate driveshafts for the larger u-joints - but might have to do that for a lift anyway.

Head over to Pep Boys and grab a couple of HELP! part # 81004 u-bolt kits. They are listed for Fords with 1-1/8" u-joint caps. Looks like this is the size to fit the XJ driveline..

I have a Dana 35 rear axle outside on which I intend to try drilling out the holes and installing the u-bolts. Looks to me like there is enough flat surface for the nuts to bear on. Just need to confirm that the part number I bought is the right size to fit the center-to-center spacing of the holes for the strap bolts.

Re: D44 Straps VS U-bolts

rsalemi said:
Acording to the spicer engineers the strap type yokes are stronger than the u-bolt type. However if you break a u-bolt you can replace it without drilling and tapping.
D44 yokes come for the 1310 (std XJ), 1330 and 1350 u-joints from Dana. You need to fabricate driveshafts for the larger u-joints - but might have to do that for a lift anyway.

So is the bolt the weak link?

i thought about just drilling out the existing yoke but to securely use a nut and washer on the backside it would need to be machined flat.... or it wont be as strong as it's design.. the u-bolt yokes i have seen are a little larger (or so they appear) than the strap type... rather use OEM parts that i know work instead of modifying one to work according to theory.... i'll reitterate my original question....

"i know older CJ's ran these on these axles but my understanding is that the pinion spline count onthe older axles is different than the newer(current) setup.... is it as simple as just using gears for an older axle? or does it snowball into different carriers and what-not? i cant imagine you H/C guys are still running straps.. or is it a nessecary "weak" link? "

mike

I just called Tellico4x4.com and told them the type of yoke I wanted and they shipped it. You could also try Drive Train Industires.

Tom Houston
Loveland, Colorado

thats almost too easy!!!! i assume when i call randy's for my gears they will probably have the answer as well.....
mike

Back