• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

raise up those shock mounts in the rear...

djmilo

NAXJA Forum User
heres my idea... i havent gotten out my tape yet, but here goes...

i want to get a set of leaf spring pads from a recent toy. tacoma rear end... they have their shock mount built in to the pad that the leaves sit on. it also looks like their pretty beefy, and would give about an 1" or so of lift back there on an XJ.... and it would raise the mount to at or above the axle. im also pretty sure they point the right way( i.e. the pass side points forward, drivers side points rear...) of course they could be drilled if their bolt pattern is different...

anyway, anyone ever done this? or have acces to a tacoma to measure up? i would imagine this would be an easy part to find, and a cheap easy way to get a little lift, and reduce drag...id love to hear some feedback...

thanx,
CAT

WAY too much trouble. Plus, you don't want the shock mount to be above or at the top of the axle housing, the shocks will have to be too short. You want the shock mount to be even with the bottom of the axle housing, and this is very easy to do. Cut off the stock shock mount, cut a radius in the mount so it fits back on the housing in the desired location, and weld it back on. A very easy and effective modification.

just throw that whole Tacoma axle under your Jeep, they are great axles and the right width. You'll need to adapt the u-joints and brakeline, and do something about the bolt pattern (Waggy D44?)...

oh wait, you're just looking to raise some mounts.... fine, I get carried away, I know

get some 2.5" box tube and make new leaf spring perches that sit an inch taller, and cut off the stock shockmount and weld it back on up a little higher, and sell that Tacoma axle to someone who will use it... what was that? you want to give it to me? sure :D

your missing the part about NO WELDING, just cutting....

i dont have acces to a welder or shop or sometimes even jackstands....

goatman... i dont see how its anymore trouble than add-a-leafs or lift blocks... and i was wrong about the location of the shock it sits about an inch below the axle centerline...

believe me if i had a shop to do all this stuff.... trust me id skip something this trivial and just buy some volvo portals and start from there.... this just sounds cheap and redily availible, and requires no welding or a person to do it for you...

just looking for a cheaper easier way to get the same results for those like me who have a DRIVEWAY to werk in ( if i can get that ).

thanks for the replies guys! keep em coming!

CAT

As the Goatman said, If you raise the axle mounts up too much you will shorten your shock length so much you will have no shock travel. I don't want to be buying my shocks with the slammed ricer crowd. If you want to move the shock mounts up and keep travel you will need to move the upper shock mounts as well. There are companies that produce shock relocation kits (for top and bottom mounts) like Cross engineering, or you can do one yourself.

I run a Cross set up and it has done me well, but keep in mind nothing is without trade offs. I am finding it very hard to get an anti-wrap bar installed since my shocks set at such an angle.

edit: as for the welding, The cross kit requires that you remove your old axle end shock mounts and weld on two small mounts to replace them at a more inboard location. As small as the mounts are, I wouldn't expect it to cost over $20-30 to have them attached to your axle.

Bones :skull1:

GS_LEDGE_FLEX2-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Unless you put fit even shorter than stock shocks in its place you would have to drop the bumpstops the same amount you go up! That would be around 4" you have to lower you bumpstops unless you raise or angle over the top mounts so you can send the extra 4" of travel some where rather than straight through your floor!

Gojeep said:
Unless you put fit even shorter than stock shocks in its place you would have to drop the bumpstops the same amount you go up! That would be around 4" you have to lower you bumpstops unless you raise or angle over the top mounts so you can send the extra 4" of travel some where rather than straight through your floor!

Bumpwhats? :D:D:D ;)

using the toyo leaf pads would also move the mounts from the stock point to the leaf pads... giving me what i hope is enough of an angle to give me more length....

anyway, im going to a buddy's place tommorow ( i hope) to measure up his tacomas junk... just maybe they'll werk....

yeah at the moment i dont even have bumpstops.... LOL.... damn new england road salt ate 'em long b4 i got the rig....

oh and i forgot to mention that new shocks wouldnt be a problem (i could use them after all this bump-stop free wheeling!!) and ill need them after the BB for sure...

Back