• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear leaf springs

jimmy forbes

NAXJA Forum User
whats up guys, its chritmas and my XJ getting a present, ive decied to go to 8 inches and am going with rock krawler 6.5 inch coils and 1 spacer i have, and possibly rubicon 4.5 inch leafs, but that my question, are those ok, i was gonna leave my block in, and dont give me any stuff abot blocks because ive had it for 2 yeears and its never caused me trouble, and a shackle on the springs to get 8 inches, i never plan on getting anymore lift, just trimming for the 36's one day ill get, thanks for the input
later
jimmy

jimmy forbes said:
whats up guys, ... and dont give me any stuff abot blocks because ive had it for 2 yeears and its never caused me trouble,

In other words, give me your best advice unless it happens to be different from what I've already decided I want to hear.

Sorry. I don't play that game. My dislike of blocks is well-documented and all the reasons for that positon are valid and basically incontestable.

hey, you dont have to get pissy, i just am not to rich and am getting what i can afford sorry if i offended you.

My Question was: what leaf springs would u get on a tight budget and looking for 8 inches, and willing to use a block

By the way: anything better than the crap i have right now

Re: Re: rear leaf springs

Eagle said:
In other words, give me your best advice unless it happens to be different from what I've already decided I want to hear.

Sorry. I don't play that game. My dislike of blocks is well-documented and all the reasons for that positon are valid and basically incontestable.

:(

jimmy forbes said:
whats up guys, its chritmas and my XJ getting a present, ive decied to go to 8 inches and am going with rock krawler 6.5 inch coils and 1 spacer i have, and possibly rubicon 4.5 inch leafs, but that my question, are those ok, i was gonna leave my block in, and dont give me any stuff abot blocks because ive had it for 2 yeears and its never caused me trouble, and a shackle on the springs to get 8 inches, i never plan on getting anymore lift, just trimming for the 36's one day ill get, thanks for the input
later
jimmy

From what I've seen, the springs are the cheap part of an 8" lift. It's the steering, SYE, control arms, etc. that are the expensive part. If you're looking to save $, the springs probably wouldn't be the place to do it. Just buy (or piece together) a 6" pack and use your shackles.

-Mike

jimmy forbes said:
hey, you dont have to get pissy, i just am not to rich and am getting what i can afford sorry if i offended you.

My Question was: what leaf springs would u get on a tight budget and looking for 8 inches, and willing to use a block

To be accurate, the above was not your question.

Originally posted by jimmy forbes
...ive decied to go to 8 inches and am going with rock krawler 6.5 inch coils and 1 spacer i have, and possibly rubicon 4.5 inch leafs, but that my question, are those ok, i was gonna leave my block in, and dont give me any stuff abot blocks because ive had it for 2 yeears and its never caused me trouble, and a shackle on the springs to get 8 inches, ...

Your question made no mention of a tight budget.

The point is that a leaf spring is a leaf spring, and within limits a manufacturer probably charges about the same for any height spring. For example, RE charges $135 for both their 3.5" and their 4.5" leaf springs. Rusty gets $209/pair for both his 3" and his 4.5" leaf springs.

Which means you should really start shopping, because you can probably achieve the same 8" lift without using blocks, and for about the same money as going with 4.5" springs and blocks. The negative effects of blocks are only going to be more pronounced with taller springs.

But ... it's your money and your Jeep.

The wise Eagle is spot on as usual. If you can afford new lift springs get them for the amount of lift you need. If you plan on using RE lower lift springs (nothing wrong with RE springs BTW), you may want to set aside some money to buy or build a traction bar of some kind to deal with the wicked axle wrap you will get at 8" with 4.5" springs. I believe you can get into a set of Rusty's 6.5" springs for the same money you are looking to spend on the RE's. I believe Eagle was politely trying to tell you don't ask the question if you don't want the answer (kinda like when your wife asks you if a dress makes her look fat ). Eagle is one of the most knowledgable (if not the most) people here at NAXJA, I would listen to what he has to say.

Another idea, in your sig you mention getting a D44. Before you put it under, cut off the perches and then weld on some lifted anit-wrap perches. That way you get extra lift without the use of blocks. You can also eliminate shims if you weld then on at the proper angle.

There are two ways to do leaves, but new packs or make your own. I myself bought a new RE 1462's, I had a bit of trouble finding donor packs (Dakota, S10, Durango, MJ, etc..). But if you can find the cheaply I think they are worth it when your on a budget. I can recall Goatman running such packs and you know where his rig goes.

Make a ladder bar, wether you go new or use a mixed pack, this is the only way to eliminate spring wrap.

HTH

What is the difference about higher perches and a lift block?

The right answer to his question would have been that he needs no lift block with the RE 4.5" springs and a 1.5" shackle because that will net him about 8" of lift. :D :D :D

XJoachim said:
What is the difference about higher perches and a lift block?

The right answer to his question would have been that he needs no lift block with the RE 4.5" springs and a 1.5" shackle because that will net him about 8" of lift. :D :D :D

I know I don't have 8" of lift with my RE1462's and 1.5" shackles, it's a lot closer to 6.5". I have had mine for about a year now and have flexed them up pretty good.

Thought Id be generous and give yall a good laugh at my expense!:D

Re: Hey eagle..

BIG98XJ said:
I got 4" blocks any coments??!!:D

Maybe Eagle doesn't, but I do.

I ran 2-2.5" blocks with 10 leaf National packs and an added leaf out of one of my old Old Man Emu packs. These packs are nearly 3" thick and somewhat resistant to wrap but even so I wrapped them up enough to need $250 to redo them at a local spring shop.

A 4" block will kill any spring pack prematurely if you don't run some sort of an anti-wrap bar.

I did my set up because it's what I had already (spring wise). If I were starting fresh (as Jimmy is) I would do what ever I had to do to avoid blocks. A small amount of extra money spent now will save a fortune later on.

Big, YMMV but if you wheel or use the skinny pedal much without an anti-wrap bar you will kill your spring pack with a 4" block.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just the price of admission.

Bones :skull1:

GS_LEDGE_FLEX2-vi.jpg

Re: Hey eagle..

BIG98XJ said:
I got 4" blocks any coments??!!:D
Yeah, I have 2.5" angled blocks, yours is bigger :anon:

sorry if i sounded like an asshole, but im 19 an hard headed, thanks fr the support with the blocks, santas geting me the springs, no problems i guess, ill run the blocks, if i screw them up, i screw them up, anyway thanks for the help, i already am all set up for 8 inches other than th springs, thanks for your input tho,
later
jimmy

find a spring shop and have some made, blocks are not a real lift, that is redneck crap. There are all kinds of disco trucks out here in Cali that have 12 inch blocks, and I just run when I see them on the freeway. Forget the blocks and just do a body lift:anon: Or just read somemore posts before putting your death trap on the road.

Don't use aluminim blocks :anon: trust me!

Back