• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country suspension question

rthill97tj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '97 Cherokee and I am looking for a cheaper suspension to put on it until I finish my first project I started (a dual dana 60 TJ) and I was wondering what anyone thought of the Rough Country 3" lift. Any help appreciated.

I have the 4.5 rc lift. I like it a lot. It has alittle firmer ride than stock but also flexes nice. I was going to get the 3" kit before I went with the 4.5. The 4.5 is a more complete kit. you get the tc drop and the track bar kit. little more money but worth it.
hope this helps. Brent

4.5 rc

my brother just bought a hell creek 4.5 on ebay. basically a rc kit with hell creeks rear spring pack. just got the rears in tonight. front tommorrow. paid $475 plus $75 shipping. cheap!

rthill97tj said:
I have a '97 Cherokee and I am looking for a cheaper suspension to put on it until I finish my first project I started (a dual dana 60 TJ) and I was wondering what anyone thought of the Rough Country 3" lift. Any help appreciated.

It's alright, but yo could have quality issues. I had trouble with one of my coils, it bent. Also, don't get the kit with the short add-a-leaf, as far as I know the JCW special comes with the short aal. Other than that, for a cheap 3" lift check Rusty's or try to find some used parts, maybe from somebodies old RE lift.

lift

i have 3.5 kit and i love it.i got it from ultimateautoaccessories.com pn#43800 c price is cheap had no problems with it and it came with everything i needed.

Just dont get the kit from jc whitney its cheap but it only comes with a 1 inch lift block a short aal and coils and thats it.

rc 3 inch lift

i have the 3 inch lift with a daystar kit. it uses the full length leaf in the back.i was put on over the upcountry kit ithat came with the rig so i have six leafs in the back after a year of wheeling it still set 4.5 in the back, with a swing away tire holder and 4 in the front. don't get there hydro shocks, the ones that cam with my kit were wayyyy to soft for the road and it swayed side to side pretty bad. i went with gassers and the ride is pretty good now. in retrospect i would probly go with a 4.5 inch lift right of the back , i might look into the re kit. i had thought about the rusty's kit but i had been waiting for some skid plate parts from him for 6 months and finaly gave up and had to make my own. but his products are ok, just make sure he really has it in stock before you drop your cash!

i have the RC 3" kit, with the full length AAL's. it rides fine, it is a bit firm, but i would really rather it be firm than soft. It was super cheap, i got it directly from RC, and if i remember, it was only about 230 dollars shipped.

I had the 3in. RC with a long aal. It started out at over 4in. then slowly sagged to 2.5 in the front and stayed above 3in. in the back, it had rancho 9000's on it. It did ride a little rough but its a truck, I would not want it to ride like a car. It handled very nice on roads and was not to bad off road.

i have the Rough Country 4.5. (sorta) i ended up building alot bigger than expected and now have nothing but the front coils they are a little stiff but they do flex. only complaint that i have is that my coil snapped in half just about one a month or so after the warranty was up. Defect in the metal. now that i have built bigger i wish i had sprung for the better kit.just wanted to share my experience. Hopefully it helps.

I dont know if this helps or not but I just ordered and recieved the RC 4.5" from JCW with the full rear leaf packs. There price was $537. I ordered there catalog prior to ordering the kit and inside was a coupon for 15% off! I paid $457 plus only $28 for shipping. I have heard of bad experiences with JCW and have had problems myself but for the price I decided to chance it. I recieved all the parts within a week and that is at X-mas time. They were shipped seperately and came on different days but I did recieve everything. I have heard some good and bad about RC products but money is a big factor and I wanted to go straight to a 4.5". Maybe it will be a mistake, maybe not. We will see! Im starting the install this weekend on my '99 sport. Now to decide on tire size? 32 or 33. Hope this helps - I am new to the game of lifts and tires but always owned XJ's!

Back