• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Clip Thing

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe this should be somewhere else I don't know but here it goes...I have the stock leaf spring pack with a few leaves added. I need to know what the clip, clamp thing is called that holds the springs together so they can't spread horzontally, and where can I buy them? The clip thing doesn't limit flex travel but rather keeps the springs from twisting apart if that makes any sense. Thanks in advance.

I think they are called "clips," but they do limit flex. The factory has used two types. All the XJ springs I've seen they used a sheet metal strap type that is tightly wrapped around the leaves, with a rubber cushion on the top. I've bought replacements for those at my local spring shop, and someone recently posted (don't remember if it was on the OEM or Mod forum) an on-line source for them IIRC.

The MJ (Comanche) and YJ (Wrangler) had heavier clips that were u-shaped and riveted to the underside of one of the leaves. The vertical legs extended above the top (main) leaf and were drilled to allow a bolt to go through, with a sleeve between the two legs of the clip. There is some space between the bolt/sleeve and the main leaf, so this type will flex a bit better than the XJ type. However, because it is riveted to the spring pack, it isn't easily user-serviceable.

I had the hardest time finding those clips too! I finally found a place in Toldeo (right down the street from the Jeep plant) that sell them. They are pretty stout! Let me know if you can't find them locally and I'll give you their phone number.

Burley

Back