• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

16 inch wheel/tire combo. Please Help!

mountaindrew

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj sport.I have probably a rare situation and I need some help/ advice. I was given a set of goodyear wranglers in 255/70r16 with almost new tread and in great shape. that is about 30.5 by 10.5 in inches so this is about perfect. I am lifting the truck about 3 inches. my problem is, I am finding few 16 inch wheels in the right bolt pattern. summit has us wheels black steelies in 16-7 with 4 inches backspacing, or 16by8 with 4.25. will either or both of these work? can anyone tell me any other options(posibly a factory wheel of of another kind of vehicle)? I could use some help, thanks

Arent ZJ or WJ rims 16s? you could just use those

I was running 265/75/16 MT's on my factory alloys- 16x7" w/5"BS.If you go to my page and scroll to the bottom you can see them on the rig!
My XJ pics

The 16" alloy canyon rims off of TJ's will also work. I have seen alot of them for sale as the owners want the 15's with better sidewall protection. Those 16" with those tires aired down will provide almost no protection to the wheels.

The 2000 and 2001 XJ Classic and Limited came with 16" alloy rims, and some ZJs aso had 16" rims in the last couple of years of the ZJ. The WJ (Grand Cherokee 1999 and newer) does not use the same bolt pattern, so those are not candidates.

Stock backspacing in 5.25" and with 10.5" wide tires will rub against the lower control arms in tight turns. You really want a bit less backspacing. Of the two you mentioned, although the one with 4" of backspacing sounds like it would be farther out, the rim is an inch narrower than the other so in reality the 16x8s with 4.25" BS will extend 3/4" farther out than the 16x7s with 4" BS.

BTW -- TJ Canyons are 15x8, not 16x8

RichP said:
The 16" alloy canyon rims off of TJ's will also work. I have seen alot of them for sale as the owners want the 15's with better sidewall protection. Those 16" with those tires aired down will provide almost no protection to the wheels.

Never seen a TJ CAnyon in 16"....killer lookin wheels tho!

255/70/16's you will find work out to 30"x10" but will be still taller than a 30" imperial size tyre which are usually under sized. I run 16x8.5 rims with 4.75 back spacing so they are out there.

mountaindrew said:
will 16 inch alloy off of an explorer fit? has anyone tried using for wheels

Bolt pattern is the same, so they'll go on. Don't know how close the backspacing is, but it's probably the same or close.

Exploder wheels on a Jeep? :rolleyes:
:D :D

This came up once or thrice. I believe people have reported that the Exploder rims have a 4" or 4-1/2" back spacing. The bolt pattern is the same, so for this application they might work well.

One thing to watch out for with other mfgrs wheels (Exploder/Ranger specifically) is that the XJ OEM wheels are hub-centric...the hole in the center is matched to the end of the axle flange-rear or hub-front, where the Xpl/Ran wheels have a smaller dia hole...and wont let the wheels seat fully. This is NBD if ya can get the holes machined out cheaply, but adds PITA and may make a set of these wheels less than a good deal. The lug holes in the donor wheels would need a conical seat surface & matching taper lugnuts for this to be safe.

OTOH the two types of aftermarket steel wheel I have, the hole is a good bit larger than the flange/hub...the lugs center the wheel (this would be called lug-centric...)

Also awhile ago, I spotted a Cryco mini-van with some 'interesting' looking wheels...they appeared to be 5 on 4.5 as well, but I have no idea on what the width & offset is.

The strange thing is that the Ford wheels will fit on the front but not on the rear! It is only the rear axle centre that is just over 1/2 a mm bigger! I ground down my axle centre so it was the same front and rear when I fitted my Ford disks to the D35 axle.

mountaindrew said:
Will liberty wheel fit?
Yes, and they look pretty good too.

xj_arb_roof_rack_small_s.jpg

JEEPZZ said:
Yes, and they look pretty good too.

xj_arb_roof_rack_small_s.jpg

Really? For some reason I thought they had changed the bolt circle like they did with the WJ:confused:
Thats handly to know.

Back