• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch on the back

mn_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I think I would rather have a winch in the back. Other than the multi mount in the receiver, How has this been done?TIA Ben:confused:

Should this be in mod forum?

I would think its to go back where you came from and avoid an even deeper mess. For instance going thru new trails and you get stuck, you look in front of you and it gets even tougher. (Full Trail Rigs Excluded)

I personally would love to customize a winch bumper for the rear also. Id do a lower priced winch like a MileMarker 6000 on a custom tube rear bumper.
-john

Makes perfect sense to me .... if everyone had a winch on the back, the front runner could get pulled out from the rear with ease ... you could mount pulleys underneath and run the cable to the front and use it for leverage to pull yourself up and over the ridge, you can easily mount it to the hitch receiver and remove it at will ... lots of endless possibilities. Good idea.

rear winch

I have a Warn Multi-Mount and I've probably used it more from the back than from the front. Lots of times it is easier to go back the way you got in rather than try to pull yourself through. There have been several times when I would not have EVER gotten out if I couldn't have pulled myself out backwards.

Beezil said:
keep going forward....

if you don't think you'll be able to finish a trail, don't start on it.

Well whats the fun in that?:D

bchulett said:

you could mount pulleys underneath and run the cable to the front and use it for leverage to pull yourself up and over the ridge

Not too sure about that. If you were totally bogged down, you probably wouldn't want to/be able to feed a winch line under your rig. Pullies?... Maybe with a set of rollers or something, but I don't see it being worth the fuss

Put the winch on a multi mount or better yet, wheel with other folks. That way if you get buried & can't go forward someone is there to pull you out:)

I believe Reunel (sp?) makes rear winch bumpers for fullsizes if you want some ideas though....

I’ve no personal exp. That said, I’ve read discussion on limitations of the receiver and bought into it. I like the Idea of getting it out of sight/weather when off the trail but I don’t want to create a dangerous situation either. your thoughts?:confused:

What a bunch of wussies. :rolleyes:

;) :D :D

Who gives a rats ass about going backwards. I'm with Beezil, the idea is to finish a trail, and that means going forward. If you get stuck or hung up, pull yourself out and keep going. What difference does it make if it's easier to go backwards or forwards, if forward is where you want to go. :dunno:

I agree that sometimes it's best to get pulled back, but the guy behind you can either strap or winch you back. If you go out by yourself, and do something that is that difficult, you shouldn't be there anyway. Why don't you just say "Since I go out by myself I think I should be able to winch myself backwards to get out of a jam that I never should have gotten myself into in the first place".

I have so many reasons to not use a multi-mount.....I just think they're worthless (please excuse me for being a little brash about this....I'm having fun :)). The ground clearance and approach angles suck with a mutli-mount, the winch should be properly mounted in a good bumper. We've had to remove a muti-mount to allow the rig to get to the obstacle, pull up onto it, then re-install the muti-mount to winch up.....what a PITA. Sometimes you need to pull at a pretty good angle, which can be a problem with many multi-mounts, they're not strong enough. It's also a PITA to have the winch inside (not knowing if you'll need it in the front or the back) and have to get it out and hook it up if you need to use it. Another very good reason to not have a multi-mount is that it can be dangerous to have the winch and multi-mount inside of the rig. We almost lost someone once on the trail when they rolled and the winch and mount hit him in the head. He ended up with a bad cut but it could have been MUCH worse.

I've never spoken to anyone, or been with anyone on the trail, that had a solid front mounted winch who wished they'd had a multi-mount. I've wheeled with plenty who've had muti-mounts and got rid of them.

Just my (not so) humble opinion..... :D :D

Getting Hit in the head

Don't you think that the guy that got hit in the head should have had the winch strapped down? I don't think one guy making a mistake and paying for it is a reason to steer clear of buying a multi mount. I would like to know how much you are limited when trying to pull laterally? Secondly, has anyone tried to brace a multi mount receiever to provide better lateral stability? I can envision removable supports connected to the multi mount and the bumper connected by wing nuts. It would be a perfect set up for those of us who only would need a winch to get out of a sticky spot, or drag an animal out of the woods.

mpp3.gif

http://www.wyeth-scott.com/

Here is another solution, mount to whatever side you want to. If you roll, you may be able to recover your vechicle your self.

It's not that big, you could mount it right next to your front seat for easy access and have it strapped down.

The down side is being next to 6 tons of pulling force while cranking on it.

I have to agree with Goatman on the multi-mount.

Lets say your do strap you multi mount down, and then your you jeep gets stuck in an akward place where you can't open your rear hatch (assuming you put it in the rear), it would definitely be a royal PITA.

Second what if you can onlly be pulled from the front, and the multi-mount is still tucked away. Then you finally get the MM out and find out you can't install it on your front bumper because it's being blocked by another obstacle.

You could keep it on the top rack, but then you'll have weather, and other issue to deal with like getting it down off the rack.

look at the two guys who rigs aren't daily drivers talk about what amounts to a daily driver setup :nono: ;)

geo78- it was my mistake....i can still feel the small canyon on my head....no hair now grows there...and i did learn my lesson. TIE DOWN ANYTHING HEAVY INSIDE YOUR RIG! i won't make that same mistake twice....coulda been a smashed watermelon situation and ruined a great 7 days for everyone involved :fuse:

having reciever hitches front and rear already, this being my daily driver, and the fact that maybe i would need a winch in ~1% of overall driving i do....all make the multi mount option attractive for me. i see the practicality of being able to pull from front or rear, put it in my garage 95% + of the time, and yank it out if i ever need it as i do some times wheel alone (i know... not the best idea but my friends drive explorers and pathfinders). i do feel it's a great option for many less than hardcore trailriders. that being said ....i wish i had a nice bumper to nestle my 9000i in on the front of my jeep. i still remember Goatman telling me at the time "winches belong outside on the bumper...not inside " and i must say i can see some wisdom in that viewpoint. :eek:wl:

mpp3.gif

I have one of these. It is a great come-a-long. Leave it at home and buy a real winch for four wheeling. You ever try to hand winch yourself out of a mud bog? It's so much work you about bust a blood vessel in yer head.

I do highly recommend it for regular come-a-long duty though. They run about $125-$150 if I remember right.

mn_xj said:
I’ve no personal exp. That said, I’ve read discussion on limitations of the receiver and bought into it. I like the Idea of getting it out of sight/weather when off the trail but I don’t want to create a dangerous situation either. your thoughts?:confused:

Where do you wheel at? I've been in MN for about 1.5 years now and found some great guys at www.mn-jeep.com.

I put a winch on the front of my XJ this year and it's one of the best things I ever did. I have NEVER thought that I'd like to have it on the back.

I look at it this way: If you get hung up on something it doesn't usually take much to tug you back. Usually a little manpower on the front is enough to get you backed up for another run. If you get stuck in the middle of something, it's usually as much work to go forward as it is backward. Why would you want to go backward?

I don't think I've even seen anyone winched backwards.

JohnXJNJ said:
I would think its to go back where you came from and avoid an even deeper mess. For instance going thru new trails and you get stuck, you look in front of you and it gets even tougher.

if you're running new trails it would make sense to stop and walk through the next section, especially if it looks very difficult.

beside being a recovery tool, winch is also used to get you through in many cases. like waterfalls, etc. it would make sense to have it on the front for that purpose.

multi-mount

Dangerous? Why would a multi-mount be dangerous? You strap it down in the back along with everything else and it's completely out of the way until you need it.

That goes for affecting your approach and/or departure angles also. You don't mount it until you need to use it, so it has no affect on angles at all. In fact, in general it is much better than a winch bumper in that regard, since a normal bumper and receiver hitch can tuck up much tighter than any winch bumper I've ever seen.

Besides that, when you're not out 4-wheeling you can leave it in the garage. There's 80 or 90 lbs. of dead weight that won't reduce your gas mileage and performance when you don't need it. There's also several hundred dollars worth of equipment that you don't need to worry about getting stolen when your Jeep's in the parking lot.

I had the winch-in-the-bumper thing on my first pickup truck, back when Jimmy Carter was President. I decided to try the multi-mount approach on my second 4WD rig. I would NEVER consider going back to a fixed-mount winch! The multi-mount is that much better.

There is only one drawback to a multi-mount winch that I can think of... I don't get to point to that big, macho winch bumper on the front of my Jeep and say, "Yeah, I'm a rough, tough 4-wheeler. Can't ya tell by just LOOKING at that thing?" So, if looks are your thing, by all means, get the biggest, meanest looking winch bumper you can find. If you just want the maximum of functionality then a multi-mount is for you.

Well I for one would be happy with a bumper mounted winch with one of those huge cangaroo bars the rock crawlers use.

I would also like to do a custom rear bumper duble tubed, with a reciever in the middle. Lifts reciever about 6" higher than the add on pull thingy hangin down below the gas tank. :D

As well as a couple of recievers (one on each side) under the rocker next to hat chanle that some would think is a frame. With gaurds on the sides \[]/ this would allow me to take the winch to all 3 sides. If one were to roll, put the winch on side sticking up and flop ones self onto wheels. Would work well for those that don't have black on black (upside down) as well, lets you chose which side to roll over to.

??multi point?? is that a winch on a plate that fits a reciever? That is the idea I had planned.

Not to bag on the Multi-Mount too hard but you'd be better off building a custom bumper and hard mounting it.

Ever try to slide that pig in when you over the bumper in water or mud? I have on my bro's bronco...it sucked...

You can leave it on, but then your departure angle suxors.
As far as keeping it in the back until you need it, that is fine about 1/2 the time. The other half of the time the hitch is too close to the ground because of the angle and we couldn'y physically get the winch and multimount slid in.

Not bad for an occasional off road rig, but if you're serious, get one that allows it to be mounted close to the body, front or rear.

TOZOVR said:
Not to bag on the Multi-Mount too hard but you'd be better off building a custom bumper and hard mounting it.

You can leave it on, but then your departure angle suxors.

Mounting a winch inside a rear bumper would be a blast, it would give a loading dock off the back of the jeep.

The purpose to having a reciever on 3 corners, and a hard mount in front gives a hard mount winch like everyone is nagging about. Plus it gives you that extra winch (not hard mounted in rear) that can be used on 3 sides. Build a reciver bar in back compartment and don't worry about it hitting you in a roll-over. With the hard mount in front, you could get yourself out of a situation that would not allow the back latch to open. You could catch a possible roller next to you with out a 25 point turn around just to face them.

Or have a helicopter fallow you thro trails and air lift you out when in trouble.

One could also go wheeling at local mall, and if they get stuck, have sucurity help them out :anon:

Back