• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ tranny question

tnomud

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ Sport. What's the deal with the tranny? I put it in the "1-2" a few weeks ago and it stayed in 1st gear...........no upshift to 2nd. Then, yesterday, I put it in "1-2" and it shifted from 1 to 2nd and then when I let off at 40 MPH................it went back to 1st at 4K rpm????????? I don't get it.

Just curious...why were you in "1-2" at 40mph? Seems high to me, but I've never used that range except for 4x4Low.

pancake said:
Just curious...why were you in "1-2" at 40mph? Seems high to me, but I've never used that range except for 4x4Low.

I use 1-2 occasionally when towing my Jet SKiis. I noticed this problem while towing, so I tried it without the trailer.

I have stock gears and 31's. While "checking the 1-2 position", I hit 40's a few times in 2WD.........

Have you replaced the speedometer drive gear so the speedo reads accurately with the larger tires? If not, your TCU isn't getting valid data and nothing it does should surprise you (except if it accidently operates normally).

Nope, my speedo is way off (hence the speeding ticket I received last Wednesday).

Today, I put it in 1-2 and it stayed in 1st gear until 5500 and wouldnt upshift.......................... :confused:

Back