• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailmaster or RE?

kelly klassen

NAXJA Forum User
Gotta make a decision on which coils to go with. This would be the TM 4" lift coils, or the RE1345 zj coils. Both list almost identical specs. Is there a difference in longevity/quality? Am I making a mistake with these? How's your experience? Thanks in advance, sure appreciate the help.

What specs?????? The 1345's net 6" of lift with a medium weight(winchless) bumper!

I emailed both places and got some info. The traimasters are 200lb/" and 20.25" free length. The REs are the same rate and 22" I got told that the REs will give you 5.5" with no winch. Is it pretty common to get 6"?! I've got a winch and bumper that stole an inch from the stock springs, so I'm looking forward to getting that back and then some. I can trim with spacers, so I'm not too worried about the difference in length, but of course more is more so that's definately the way I'm leaning. Is there a difference in quality? Has anyone had either of these going soft and sagging out on them? Thanks.

I have had the Trailmaster 4" lift with the front coils. I drove over 100K miles on them and was very pleased. They are still good when I took them off. I now have the RE 5.5 which is of course much higher, but I would have no problem recommending Trailmaster. By the way the SSV shocks are outstanding. I also had over 100K miles on them and they reallly held up well.

Curt

I bought an MJ with a Trailmaster lift in it. I wish the springs would soften up. Quality of the components isn't a problem, but quality of ride IS a problem. It rides like it doesn't have any suspension at all. As soon as the XJ is back on the road and the exhaust has ben replaced in the other MJ -- the lift comes out and I'm giving it to a Jeeper upstate who doesn't know what he's getting in for.

I hate the freakin' thing.

Eagle: Did you have an aftermarket bumper on? Mine at almost 200lb with winch made me wallow like a drunk pig, disconnected was down right scary. I'm thinking that tight springs should balance out the ride some and end up just right. I'm leaning toward the REs anyway, just waiting to hear about a price on the TMs. Thanks for the feedback.

Eagle said:
I bought an MJ with a Trailmaster lift in it. I wish the springs would soften up. Quality of the components isn't a problem, but quality of ride IS a problem. It rides like it doesn't have any suspension at all. As soon as the XJ is back on the road and the exhaust has ben replaced in the other MJ -- the lift comes out and I'm giving it to a Jeeper upstate who doesn't know what he's getting in for.

I hate the freakin' thing.

I suspect you have crappy shocks. My XJ with a Trailmaster rode much better than stock. I will also say that my Trailmaster set up with the SSV shocks rides better than my current RE 5.5 with OME shocks. I am not all that impressed with the OME shocks to be honest. They are ok, but not nearly as good as the Trailmaster.

If it feels like you have no suspension, you should change your shocks to SSV's and come back and tell us how it rides. I think you would be quite happy.

Curt

kelly klassen said:
I emailed both places and got some info. The traimasters are 200lb/" and 20.25" free length. The REs are the same rate and 22" I got told that the REs will give you 5.5" with no winch. Is it pretty common to get 6"?! I've got a winch and bumper that stole an inch from the stock springs, so I'm looking forward to getting that back and then some. I can trim with spacers, so I'm not too worried about the difference in length, but of course more is more so that's definately the way I'm leaning. Is there a difference in quality? Has anyone had either of these going soft and sagging out on them? Thanks.

My RE 5.5 lift measured 7" after it was installed with stock bumper.

RE all the way!

IMHO

I have never known anyone with a Trailmaster lift (on a jeep) but I have never known anyone with a bad RE lift. They have great service and knowledge. Most evryone I wheel with runs RE 4.5 - 5.5 and loves it and have few if any problems with breakage.

shannon

1. Stock bumper, no winch.

2. The MJ has the complete Trailmaster lift, including drop brackets and Trailmaster shocks. The ride isn't mushy/wallowy soft, it is rock hard and harsh. The springs and shocks are much MUCH too stiff for the weight of the vehicle.

Might be better with a heavier bumper and a winch, but I don't plan to be the test case.

Eagle said:
1. Stock bumper, no winch.

2. The MJ has the complete Trailmaster lift, including drop brackets and Trailmaster shocks. The ride isn't mushy/wallowy soft, it is rock hard and harsh. The springs and shocks are much MUCH too stiff for the weight of the vehicle.

Might be better with a heavier bumper and a winch, but I don't plan to be the test case.

I would have to see this to believe it. I had a Trailmaster 4" lift for the past 100+ miles and it rode great. Now I suspect you got the cheap Trailmaster shocks not the SSV's. That is like putting on any cheap shock. I have a stock bumper, but I am talking XJ not MJ.

I would put that same lift on again. It was reasonable and rode great. Really better than the RE., but the RE is a 5.5 so it is higher.

Curt

Disadvantage: Super stiff, bigger around than stock so they rub on my trackbar frame mount.

oh, and i thought MY rig was the onlyone that did that!! Mines been doing it since day 1 of lift installed. i FINALLY ordered a RE HD track bar mount (looks to be flat and doesnt have the bulge in it like the OEM one...so im hoping it wont rub and clatter around)

CaptTrev

CaptTrev said:
Disadvantage: Super stiff, bigger around than stock so they rub on my trackbar frame mount.

oh, and i thought MY rig was the onlyone that did that!! Mines been doing it since day 1 of lift installed. i FINALLY ordered a RE HD track bar mount (looks to be flat and doesnt have the bulge in it like the OEM one...so im hoping it wont rub and clatter around)

CaptTrev

Do yourself a favor before you put them on.My springs are hitting the edge of the bracket since I moved my wheels forward(back closer to stock).Grind about a 45* on it and then radius it smooth!

Thanks for the help, I've decided to go with the RE ZJ 4.5" coils. With the bumper and winch, I'm hoping to end up at 4.5" of lift. Anyone with some control arm advice? Are longer LCAs a total necesity, or can I get by for a while on stock ones until I weld some up? Same story with the track bar? Thanks for the help, guys.

Back